• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Really sick bunny

ashleanne

New Kit
:wave: Hi everyone, I was directed here after my bunny became really sick. I wish I had found the forum under happier circumstances :cry:

My rabbit shadow is nearly 3 years old and never had any health problems before. I noticed all the weight dropped off him suddenly and he wasnt himself. He was still eating and active. I took him to the vets on wednesday. He was fine in the carrier on the way up and ok in the waiting room although it was a bit noisy. Once on the table being examined and having his temperature taken by the vet, he started having a seizure :cry: It was horrible to see. The vet said he has an infection of some sort and gave painkillers, antibiotics and a probiotic. He said its touch and go. I had already checked his front teeth which are fine and the vet checked again and listened to his chest etc. The vet said he was drooling a bit but he had just had a fit and I hadnt noticed any previous drooling.

After the fit, shadow looked like he was dying. His breathing was awful and he was so stressed out like he was going to just give him. I got him home and put him in his cage and turned all the lights out to leave him in peace for a while. He was all floppy and not able to lift his head. He wouldnt eat by himself so I had to start syringe feeding him critical care so wouldnt develop gut stasis. He slowly got a bit better and was able to eat a few things. Though he didnt seem able to eat properly and his coodination wasnt good. since the fit, he has only been eating certain things, fruit, some dandelion leaves, a little green veg. He would normally devour everything including hay and supa rabbit excel which they only normally get as a treat. He wont eat any of it.

By yesterday he had improved a bit and was moving around a bit. He is drinking huge amounts of water, from a bowl when normally he uses a bottle. I think he has a kidney infection because hes drinking so much and is kind of soaked in urine when normally hes so clean. He looks awful as hes so skinny and really dirty. Its so hard to see whats going on with him as I dont know what was caused by the seizure and stress and what was caused by illness. I just know that he was 10 times worse after going to the vets :cry: I know he needed to go so dont know what else I could have done. I dont know what I would do if anything happened to him :cry:

Aww im sorry your bun is so unwell, have the vets taken any bloods to find out whats wrong with him??

Have your vets considered the possibility that he may have E. Cuniculi and put him on a precautionary Panacure course? EC is known to cause damage to the renal system and one of our rescues here developed this after a long infection.

He was eating and drinking loads (drinking loads is a specific symptom of renal problems) but lost weight towards the end. He also wee'd lots and his paper was always drenched with urine. EC also affects the brain and is known to cause seizures.

I agree that it could be Ec but also it could be kidney failure :(
You could start him on a course of Panacur but the only way to know for certain if it is Ec or a kidney failure is to have blood tests done :(
I know you said that you checked his front teeth but he really needs to have his back teeth checked as well to make sure that there are no spurs there :(

If he will let you continue to feed him then do so as he will need his weight to go up - usually a sudden loss of weight and drinking lots of water is an indication of kidney failure :(

I'm sending out loads of vibes for you bun - I truly hope he can improve - xxx

I agree that it could be Ec but also it could be kidney failure :(
You could start him on a course of Panacur but the only way to know for certain if it is Ec or a kidney failure is to have blood tests done :(
I know you said that you checked his front teeth but he really needs to have his back teeth checked as well to make sure that there are no spurs there :(

If he will let you continue to feed him then do so as he will need his weight to go up - usually a sudden loss of weight and drinking lots of water is an indication of kidney failure :(

I'm sending out loads of vibes for you bun - I truly hope he can improve - xxx

EC causes kidney/liver failure which is why I suggested it. The presence of seizures are not linked directly to renal failure but are another symptom of EC which in my book makes a good enough case for a precautionary dose of Panacur. Either way I think that poor Shadow is in renal failure so the treatment for this as a symptom of EC or a singular complaint would be the same.

Thanks for the info. He hasnt had any blood tests. The vet wanted to try treatment for a few days first. They said at the minute he wouldnt survive going under to check his teeth. I really didnt expect him to still be alive after the way he was on wednesday. Is E. Cuniculi contagious to other buns?

Yes its spread through urine and faeces, and through the placenta from mother to baby. 50% of domestic rabbits show signs of having come into contact with it but only an unlucky few ever develope symptoms.

All your rabbits shopuld e treated with panacur just in case and you need to be careful with using the same cleaning utensils between hutches and swopping food bowls/bottles etc.

I think in situations like this you'd want to cover all bases. So treatment with abx/pain relief AND Panacur would be what I would expect my Vet to prescribe.
Is your Rabbit able to keep himself hydrated? If he is in renal failure he may need additional fluid therapy to keep him more comfortable. To check his hydration status gently pull up the skin along his spine, just over his shoulders. The skin should spring straight back down when you release it. If it just goes down slowly that would indicate dehydration. He would then require subcutaneous or intravenous fluids. Dehydration alone can make a Bun feel very poorly.

Will your Vet do home visits? I think it might be a good idea to request this so as the Vet can re-assess your Rabbit. A blood profile to check kidney and liver function plus EC Titres may give a clearer prognosis. Rapid weight loss and neurological symptoms is also a sign of Liver Disease/failure. So I think I would want to find out what I was dealing with in order to make the best decisions for my Rabbit.
I hope he starts to show signs of improvement

Janex

Thanks, hes not dehydrated. I doubt they would do a home visit. They would probably say if he needs further tests that he needs to go to the surgery. I guess if he had EC then the others will too, as I only have 3 and they all live together. I dont even think I could afford a home visit as well as all the other tests. Will get the money from somewhere though if needs be. I guess I should prefer for the worst, feel like its all my fault :(

It is in no way your fault. If it is EC then it spreads silently from bunny to bunny, as carriers often dont show symptoms its very hard to spot until someone is sick.

Also its never too late, dont give up on him yet there is still plenty you can do. Treat the others with Panacur now and they will be protected if it is EC. Does your vet have a lot of experience with rabbits?

Thanks, hes not dehydrated. I doubt they would do a home visit. They would probably say if he needs further tests that he needs to go to the surgery. I guess if he had EC then the others will too, as I only have 3 and they all live together. I dont even think I could afford a home visit as well as all the other tests. Will get the money from somewhere though if needs be. I guess I should prefer for the worst, feel like its all my fault :(

I am sure its not your fault. Rabbits can become very poorly very quickly. I would ask your Vet about starting your Rabbits on Panacur. I would recommend a 28 day course at a dose of 20mg/kg.
Please keep us posted as to how your poorly Bun is doing

Janex

How can it be your fault? You noticed your bun wasn't well and took him to the vets, that's as much as most of us can do. You need to be strong and positive for Shadow and do what you can now. Are you happy your vet is good with rabbits? If not where are you and someone might be able to recommend a good vet in your area. Either way I too think it would be good if he had the blood tests done, at least then you will know what you are dealing with. Rabbits are not very good with wait and see when it come to illness. I hope Shadow pulls through ok; thinking of you.

Its my fault for not making the vet do bloot tests or anything else. I live in Belfast in Northern Ireland. Not many people take their rabbits to the vet, I've tried most vets and the one I have now is about the best but I dont know how good they are compared to vets in the Uk

RIP Shadow

Shadow passed away a few hours ago. He looked at peace. I will take the others to the vets so hopefully the same thing wont happen to them :cry: Thanks for your help

animal099.jpg

animal030.jpg

RIP shadow

:cry: I'm so sorry :cry: :cry:

I really think with his illness being so very quick that it has been either a stroke, or kidney/liver failure :cry: :cry: Bless you for doing all you could for him:cry:

Run free in the eternal sunshine now Shadow - have fun with all your new friends and share your love around - xxxx

Oh no, I'm so sorry :( Shadow was beautiful...

Don't blame yourself, like Jaypot said, everything came on so suddenly. You did your best which is all you can do. XXX

Back