• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Two bunnies with runny noses... but no other symptoms... please help

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Argh! Just done the daily bum checks.. and noticed that Polos nose was looking a funny colour, so i had a good look, and she does have a little bit of a runny nose, a sort of clear colour with a hint of green from both nostrils. And Oscar too has a little bit or a runny nose, although his looks quite clear. I feel another trip to the vets coming.

They have no other symptoms... they are not acting any different, still very very lively, eating LOADS and pooing LOADS... i have had my ear on Polos chest and i couldnt hear anything unusual, except her grunting...

I am so worried about them all ... i now have 3/4 buns poorly... can someone please advise... :cry: :cry:

Hiya
Have you used a different hay recently - it might be a bit dustier than usual? If not, then I suppose a vets trip will put your mind at ease for the weekend which is when these things tend to get worse!

Do you feed the Readigrass? That can stain clear mucus. Some Rabbits get a slightly moist nose in hot weather. Then the Readigrass stains the damp area.
To be on the safe side I'd ask your Vet to check them over

Janex :)

Hello, and thanks for the advice :). Polos nose had got worse since this morning, she has a yellowy/green discharge from her nose, which was sticking to the fur around her nose. They have both been to the vets, are their breathing was checked which was fine... otherwise very healthy. They have been given a baytril injection each, followed by an anti-inflammatory, as well as this, they have both been given a 10-day course of baytril and a 5 day course of a pro-biotic to start tomorrow.

Oscar previously had a runny nose which obviously hadnt cleared up which i now think he has passed to Polo, hence the now longer course of Baytril. Fingers crossed it doesnt return!

Oh and i forgot to mention that i hadnt changed the hay and i dont feed them readigrass. They get the dustfreehay.co.uk hay. Thanks again...

Back