• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Question about when you let your rabbits out in the garden...

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
I know some of you ocassionally let your buns run around the garden free range, with supervision of course :D I was wondering how you got them back in?? We've just got a new fence and I would love to let Blaise run around the whole garden, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get him back in!
Suggestions??

I let mine out but have the tea ready for them when I want them to go back into their shed.. Fudge is easy to get back in but Furby is a little more work :lol:

I call Buu into her run, I get Beau in with the clicker, I give Trip nose rubs then pick him up quickly and I chase Scarlett round the garden for ages talking to her in a baby voice (and my brother usually helps with her) :roll: :oops:

I let my lot run around free range if im outside too... Fifi will go in when she's had enough, Simba is usually easy to pick up and Nala takes alot of chasing but eventually i usually win and manage to catch her too. You could try bribing with food.. its how i get my lot to go into their room in the evening, but my Nala enjoys grass too much to come in for anything else :roll: :lol: Otherwise it will just be a case of calling them or rounding them up;)

Mine are out all day every day, when I want them in I put their greens in their cages and say 'bed time' and walk slowly behind them to keep them moving and they usually go in quite quickly.

Hmmmm, well I just get my comfiest trainers on and keep on running til I eventually catch one!:lol:

Seriously though, none of the buns I'm looking after are willing to be caught, once theyve had a taste of what the rest of the garden is like, they lead me a right old merry dance! My garden is very secure though and I dont let them out of my sight so its just a case of looking silly for 15 minutes then corning them! Much to the amusement of the old lady next door!:lol:

I always let them out before tea, as soon as they see me they think they are getting food anyway :roll: :lol: I put the food in the hutch and they hop back in. Sometimes they decide they'd rather not eat but play for longer so i get the garden hose and start watering the grass and they don't like that so they go back in the hutch.

I always let them out before tea, as soon as they see me they think they are getting food anyway :roll: :lol: I put the food in the hutch and they hop back in. Sometimes they decide they'd rather not eat but play for longer so i get the garden hose and start watering the grass and they don't like that so they go back in the hutch.

Thats a good idea :D I might try that, Scarlett wont want to run around like a nutter on wet grass :lol:

Wow you lot have disobedient rabbits! :lol: Mine all come when they're called! Either that or I go and sit by them, call them over and they run across to be stroked, so I stroke them and then pick them up. Easy!!

Mine are also disobedient and have to be bribed back into the hutch with food :lol: bless 'em, they fall for it every time.........

Mine are really good and do go back in quite easily most of the time. Sometimes I have to chase them round and round the camellia bush, and then they will take turns to shoot off in different directions, but tonight for example I just went out to the garden, got behind them and off they went back into the shed :D

It may take a little time - I know when I first got them and let them out I was still chasing one of them round at gone 11pm (good job I had a garden light!!!) but they're not stupid and if you do it often enough they will get into a pattern.

Obviuosly given the above, it might be a good idea to start doing it whern you have plenty of time to chase them round, just in case :lol: :lol:

Thanks soo much guys! I decided not to let him out today because of the heat...so I'll let you know how it goes next time I want to take him outside ;D ;D

Mine are really easy - BB and Joey return as soon as I rattle the bolt on their run.

Hera and Ra were initially quite difficult, but everytime I put them back in I'd give them their tea or a treat. Now all I have to do is walk past Hera and rustle a bag and she follows me into her shed with Ra closely behind - I didn't expect them to learn so fast but it only took a week!

My two rabbits are out all day and only fed once a day (10 - 12 in the evening), in addition to a veggie treat when they return to the run/hutch. This treat encourages them to return at dusk in addition to a dog clicker.

I must say that if I needed to get them in during the day, it would prob be quite difficult as it is routine they respond to.

One rabbit is far more responsive than the other, who does need a little extra encouragement on ocassions!

I know some of you ocassionally let your buns run around the garden free range, with supervision of course :D I was wondering how you got them back in?? We've just got a new fence and I would love to let Blaise run around the whole garden, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get him back in!
Suggestions??

Start it 50 mins BEFORE you actually WANT them back in:lol:

I get lucky with some of the bonded 9 - Flint,Joey & spice come over if they suspect food, Chocolate wants nose rubs & Smirnoff is usually cowering under the table & refuses to move - he's an indoors-only bun:lol: - but i need a good half hour to catch Rosie, Kendra, Sugar & Cracker:lol:

As for my pairs - Polly is usually going mad & I can only catch her when Alfie decides to come in, the giants are lazy & easy:lol: & I don't mess with Calel & Treacle. He can come back when he wants to. He's the boss:D

It totally depends what mood mine are in :rolleyes:

They have access to their "home" whilst out in the garden, there's 14 of them and they can be right little menaces. Sometimes I'll shake the veg bowl as I walk up the garden, they'll all get under my feet and trip me up and run inside other times half of them will go in for food, I'll be running round the garden trying to get the others in, they'll go in and then some of the others will come running out again, with a piece of carrot and my bribary to get them in and like Angie says I wish I'd started 50minutes earlier :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

As for my pairs - Polly is usually going mad & I can only catch her when Alfie decides to come in, the giants are lazy & easy:lol: & I don't mess with Calel & Treacle. He can come back when he wants to. He's the boss:D

Dexter is not that easy to get back in the hutch either, must run in the family, they have the naughty gene :lol:

Mine come in when they are tired lol :lol: ... I let them out in the garden when I get home and the have free range to the house/garden through the french windows which I leave open. :) Hope yours are jsut as easy to catch

Well mines spend about 40 mins of the hour of supervised free range time WAITING AT THE DOOR TO GET BACK IN!:lol: :lol: :lol: Wierd because they binky whilst waiting :love: . I think they are institutionalised!

Back