• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The RSPCA don't homecheck for rabbits!

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
I stopped at our local RSPCA today on my way home as I wanted to see the place for myself (haven't been there in over 2 yrs and people visiting us always complain about it)
I looked at the rabbits who were lovely and clean with fresh hay and water and shredded paper, but in metal cages no bigger that 20" square
Anyway, I enquired about one of the rabbits and was told I could reserve her today and just come back with a photo of what I'd put her in, and to let them know I was coming as they only vaccinate rabbits once they're leaving -and I could collect same day- no homecheck!
They were happy to rehome singly as well and when asked if they bond pairs up I was told "we can put two together and try them", but obviously their policy is to rehome singly.

Do other RSPCA centre homecheck for rabbits - I thought they all did!
How can the RSPCA expect owners to care for rabbits correctly if they don't themselves?

Again its a case of different policies for the various regional branches. Some dont spay or vaccinate......:?

I honestly believe that if a Rescue falls under the RSPCA banner they should have a National standard to conform to AND funding from central office.
I have applied for a finacial report re the RSPCA under the Freedom of Information Act. I'd like to know where the massive Charity Funds held in a Coutts Bank Account goes......................

Janex

A lot of rescues have smaller cages because of cost and space etc. It's only a temporary home and is usually alot better than where they came from :(
I think all RSPCA branches have their own policies about rehoming. They probably don't vaccinate because it would be a waste of money if they can't rehome the rabbit and have to put it to sleep (as some but not all branches do this)

I had a dog from the RSPCA a few years ago and they didn't homecheck me either. I think its all down to volunteers. Maybe you could volunteer to do homechecks for them?

Our local centre was suppossed to have been rebuilt by now. There was loads of funraising going on for a couple of years, and they sold badges etc to support this project.
The condition of the dog kennels is appaling. The public haven't been allowed to walk around the kennels for the last few years as they say it stresses the dogs....I believe it's 'cos of the condition the kennels are in.
Anyway the rebuild was cancelled as they couldn't raise enough funds.........end of.
Where did all the donations go to, because surely if they've been used for other expenses then money that was given in good faith has been used fraudelently(?!)

My local rspca centre doesn't seem to want to rehome any bunnies. They were rude to me (I've rang several times) told me I would need an 8ft hutch for two rabbits (but didn't give me any idea of where to get one) and had at least a months wait for a home check. No wonder people go to the pet shops instead

I got Beau from the Jersey rspca and once I picked him the lady on the reception told me to come back with a photo of the hutch. I said I didnt have the hutch yet as I had only ordered it that day and she said she could only reserve Beau for me for 7 days so to come back when the hutch had arrived and been built. I made a bit of a fuss and ended up asking the manager to homecheck me and he told me that they home check for ANY animal and had a go at the lady, plus he came round straight away to check us. Seemed to be lack of communication at our center but she would have let me take Beau if I had come back with a photo and not questioned it. He said he would make everyone aware that homechecks had to be carried out.

They didnt have any bonded pairs though and dont do a dating service or anything. I am having trouble bonding Buu and Beau and have no idea what to do if they dont get on as you just have to pick a bunny and hope for the best here :(

I honestly believe that if a Rescue falls under the RSPCA banner they should have a National standard to conform to AND funding from central office.
Janex

I agree

Personally I have had a good experience with regards to the RSPCA. When I went to Weoley Castle and reserved Ginger and Shadow, they came out and did a home check before they got them neutered, vax'd and chipped. I was allowed to adopt Jacob without a home check because it was within a relatively short space of time so they knew what accommodation I had. They then came back four months later to do a repeat check make sure the buns and I were happy.

The inconsistancy for me was that, although they did a home check for Shayla, she came unvax'd, unchipped and with dental problems that if she had been given a health check by a vet would have been picked up on without a doubt. She stopped eating within about a week of being with me and found to have severe spurs on her left hand jaw. I'm lucky I have a good vet nearby who can do dentals without GA, had I been in a different position she could have proved to be an unexpectedly very expensive bun as she needs clipping every four weeks.

My vet was surprised that Jemima (who was a RSPCA bun at Kayj's) was spayed and vaccinated against myxi, apparently our local one doesn't do either as far as she knows.

Our local RSPCA is fantastic. The conditions for the rabbits is excellent with a two level area consisting of approx. 8' by 4' and hutch area above. During the day (so long as the weather permits) they have a 6' square run on grass. They homecheck, spay/neuter and vaccinate and charge £20 per rabbit. BooBoo cost us £20! A giant, spayed and vacc'd!
They have been so helpful to us and we have taken 5 of our 9 from them. Since we joined the forum we felt we should give something back so once a week we go up there, photograph their newest arrivals and put them on Rabbit Rehome. To us, that's a very small thing to a branch of the RSPCA that will one day receive something from my will, regardless of where I live at the time.
Are we just lucky? Maybe, it's just a shame you can't all have positive experiences with your local one and yes, wouldn't it be great if they all ran to the same high standards as ours.

Neil

I got Floss & Bournville from our local RSPCA. They spay, vaccinate, microchip and do homechecks, as well as bonding, and a follow-up check

We got Rosie from the Scottish SPCA (not our local one though).

Wasn't really too impressed with them - we wanted a male first so we could then get a female to bond, but after we got 'him' home, we discovered he was a she :roll:

She wasn't vaccinated or spayed, and they didn't do a homecheck :? But I got the impression they were running on very limited resources.

Our local RSPCA is fantastic. The conditions for the rabbits is excellent with a two level area consisting of approx. 8' by 4' and hutch area above. During the day (so long as the weather permits) they have a 6' square run on grass. They homecheck, spay/neuter and vaccinate and charge £20 per rabbit. BooBoo cost us £20! A giant, spayed and vacc'd!
They have been so helpful to us and we have taken 5 of our 9 from them. Since we joined the forum we felt we should give something back so once a week we go up there, photograph their newest arrivals and put them on Rabbit Rehome. To us, that's a very small thing to a branch of the RSPCA that will one day receive something from my will, regardless of where I live at the time.
Are we just lucky? Maybe, it's just a shame you can't all have positive experiences with your local one and yes, wouldn't it be great if they all ran to the same high standards as ours.

Neil

Wow that sounds great :D Beau was neutered, vaccinated and microchipped and they only wanted a donation of £8 :? plus the rabbits all had quite large pens, but they are mainly a cat and dog rescue and admitted none of them knew very much about rabbits at all :( I still take up hay and toys for their bunnies every month though and they are really gratefull, one even said to me she had no idea that bunnies would play with toys but it was so nice to watch them :D

The RSPCA in nottingham is quite good. When we got Dandelion they home checked us and did a follow up 6 months later. The home checker was a volunteer so I expect it's dependent on getting volunteers. The notts one run couses every so often for home checkers and they told me the new manager was very big on home checking so it def varies between branches. Their bun set up is quite good too - big kennel type areas like they have for the cats.

I never give donations to the main RSPCA as I like to know where my money going and see that is being put to good use. I prefer to support rescues on here or our local RSPCA or Cat Protection.

Last edited:
I agree

Personally I have had a good experience with regards to the RSPCA. When I went to Weoley Castle and reserved Ginger and Shadow, they came out and did a home check before they got them neutered, vax'd and chipped. I was allowed to adopt Jacob without a home check because it was within a relatively short space of time so they knew what accommodation I had. They then came back four months later to do a repeat check make sure the buns and I were happy.

The inconsistancy for me was that, although they did a home check for Shayla, she came unvax'd, unchipped and with dental problems that if she had been given a health check by a vet would have been picked up on without a doubt. She stopped eating within about a week of being with me and found to have severe spurs on her left hand jaw. I'm lucky I have a good vet nearby who can do dentals without GA, had I been in a different position she could have proved to be an unexpectedly very expensive bun as she needs clipping every four weeks.

It was the Weoley Castle one I went to today, so I guess they've changed their policy on home checks.
They charge £30 per bun (which I think is reasonable) and I have fallen for one of the buns there,but I'm going on hols in 4 weeks so now isn't the right time as my poor mum has to move in to look after my lot whilst I'm away.
I was going to volunteer for the RSPCA, but instead chose a rabbit sanctuary. I work p/t but do voluntary work in school, am a school governor and help at Brownies, so not enough hours in the day!!!!

Back