• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Next doors bunny, advice please!

isla

Mama Doe
From my bedroom window I have been keeping an eye on next doors rabbit. Its a very cute tan dutch. It lives in what looks like a 4 foot hutch (it might be a little bigger) and is let out in a run every few days, the run is no bigger then the hutch. There are never any toys anywhere, not that they'd fit in the cage anyway. But the owners are feeding it (a huge bowl filled to the top with a cheap mix) everyday and giving it fresh water in hutch and run every day. I think there is hay in the hutch, because I can see bits of hay (but it might be straw) on the garden floor. And the bunny is cleaned out.

So the problems are the size of the hutch and run and lack of toys, the bun is a bit fat too but that would be sorted if it had a bigger run.

My neighbours are very unaprochable and I think they'd either not care or not listen if I tried to help the bunny be happy. Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to help it?

It was so sad the other day, the lady next door was hanging out her washing and as she was getting another item then going further down the line, the bun was following her back and fourth, trying to binky but the runs too small. That was heart breaking to watch, it was so despriate for her attention!

awww poor thing. Do you talk to the neighbours much? The best way to help would be to befriend them first and then mention the rabbit when you are on more friendly terms otherwise they will probably not want to listen to you. Could you invite them round to yours for a BBQ or for drinks maybe?

I've never spoken to them, and I actually think they dont like my family at all. All I try to do at the moment is talk very loudly to whoever (even the dog) about bunny toys and making my run bigger then it already is.

They seam like they are very angry people anyway, they are always shouting at each other and having big violent arguements at very silly times in the morning, I'm kinda scared to approach them.

If they are like that then i don't think you should put leaflets through the door as it might provoke them :?

To be honest I was thinking about sending then a leaflet, but I would put it in the post rather the through their door, because they are a bit scary.

I really really want to knock on their door and offer then my rabbits toys that they dont play with anymore, but I'm not sure about it.

Yeah plus it seems more like you are being helpful than trying to preach to them. If they take it well you could gradually do similar things with hay etc?
If they take it badly just back off, can't see how anyone would take offence though :D

Sure you don't live the other side of my next door neighbours?

I have a similar problem, my neighbours 'rescued' a rabbit and at first it was kept in a hutch all the time. I have managed to get them to build it a hutch and run combination (it's not huge but is a lot bigger then he had to start with), through constant moaning over the fence!

My problem is that while the mum is quite receptive to rabbit care information, the mother in law used to breed rabbits and thinks she knows best. Hopefully they are moving back to New Zealand in a year or two and I can persuade them to let me have their bunny. He will be quite old by then but hopefully, he can have a good retirement.

Me and my sister came up with another idea which may help other bunnies too. We want to make up a leaflet and get my vet involved, about rabbit care and send it to every home in our city. Hopefully it'll help some bunnies!

Anyone think its a good idea? Or should I stick to offering unwanted toys?

I really really want to knock on their door and offer then my rabbits toys that they dont play with anymore, but I'm not sure about it.

I think that's a good plan - very non confrontational or judgemental, just being friendly and sharing. You can take it from there judging by their reaction.

Me and my sister came up with another idea which may help other bunnies too. We want to make up a leaflet and get my vet involved, about rabbit care and send it to every home in our city. Hopefully it'll help some bunnies!

That seems like a lot of leaflets which will be going to people who don't have rabbits :? I reckon it'll probably cost a lot to?

Try offering the toys and see what kind of respose you get?

you can get a really good leaflet from Intervet about rabbit care. My vet gave me one of them, its really handy.
I don't think there is much point giving your neighbours a leaflet if they are not interested in the rabbit, they would probably just chuck it away without reading it.

Back