• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Tanya, making a stand for the English Lop

LOP_Tanya.gif

elop.jpg

AgoutiELop.gif

I am not saying its right that they have been bred with such enormous ears, but they are here, they are Rabbits, so IMHO they are beautiful

Janex :D

Last edited:
Does anyone on here have an english lop?
I've read that they lose a lot of heat from their ears in winter, but do they tend to suffer with sores and such like, as they must forever be standing or tripping on the ends of their ears?
Tanya is a beauty:love:

Can you imagine being hit by those ears:shock:

They are beatiful, love the pic of Tanya:D

I think there is someone on here who has one. I cant remember who though :?

I dont know anything about the history of the breed. What on earth possessed the person who started the breed off to create a Rabbit with disabling ears.....:roll:

The two at Warwick Rescue had injuries to their ears when Jane took them in :cry:

Janex

The two from Warwick rescue have really bad sores and cuts on their ears:cry: all due to them being put in a tiny hutch together and both being unspayed girls :(
It's so sad that they have to suffer with the sores to their ears :(
Having said that - Jane has said that Gracie is a very happy content bun with a good attitude :D She's really bustly and confident:D
Maisie is very quiet and is shy :( She has really bad injuries to her ears and it must hurt her sometimes :( She is very loving and Jane said that she won't eat her breakfast till she's had lots of love first:D

Apparently, the English Lops are one of the oldest breeds of rabbits:shock:

The two from Warwick rescue have really bad sores and cuts on their ears:cry: all due to them being put in a tiny hutch together and both being unspayed girls :(
It's so sad that they have to suffer with the sores to their ears :(
Having said that - Jane has said that Gracie is a very happy content bun with a good attitude :D She's really bustly and confident:D
Maisie is very quiet and is shy :( She has really bad injuries to her ears and it must hurt her sometimes :( She is very loving and Jane said that she won't eat her breakfast till she's had lots of love first:D

Apparently, the English Lops are one of the oldest breeds of rabbits:shock:

I know Jane was upset when reading the thread about her two beauties :cry:
If I had enough space both Maisie and Gracie could come here. Hopefully they will find a wonderful forever home with people who can see beauty is more than skin deep :D
Crikey, if I relied on my looks to win friends I'd be stuffed!! :lol: :lol:

Janex

Really! The point being made is that it's horrible that animals have been bred in ways that cause health problems so they're aesthetically pleasing :roll: Fair enough they're here now but just like buying from petshops, you can 'speak up' against these things with your actions - e.g. not going to breeders for these breeds, it's all about supply and demand.
No one was going out insulting people's rabbits so I don't get why it's still being dragged on despite the post being locked :?

Really! The point being made is that it's horrible that animals have been bred in ways that cause health problems so they're aesthetically pleasing :roll: Fair enough they're here now but just like buying from petshops, you can 'speak up' against these things with your actions - e.g. not going to breeders for these breeds, it's all about supply and demand.
No one was going out insulting people's rabbits so I don't get why it's still being dragged on despite the post being locked :?

Nice to see you are on form Karly :D

Janex

Yes, but at the end of the day aren`t all domestic pets bred to look a certain way & alot of this can cause health problems but because they`re not visable on the outside people don`t describe them as monstrosities!
I:E: Dwarf & lop breeds are prone to teeth problems due to the shape of their skulls, but because they are pleasing to the eye people don`t comment on this.

All animals are beautiful to me ( including English Lops ) but unfortunately due to `human interference` many of these poor animals suffer health problems.

Yes, but at the end of the day aren`t all domestic pets bred to look a certain way & alot of this can cause health problems but because they`re not visable on the outside people don`t describe them as monstrosities!
I:E: Dwarf & lop breeds are prone to teeth problems due to the shape of their skulls, but because they are pleasing to the eye people don`t comment on this.

All animals are beautiful to me ( including English Lops ) but unfortunately due to `human interference` many of these poor animals suffer health problems.

That's true Su. What are those dogs called that have the crinkly faces :?
They often need surgery to reduce the skin folds :cry: Then there's the hip problems in GSDs and the heart problems in Cavaliers.

Janex

Last edited:
That's why I believe in going to responsible breeders if rescuing isn't an option. Why fund and support a practise that hurts the animal? I'd never get a GSD from someone who doesn't hipscore, nor would I get a pug or other dog that suffers breathing problems due to their face shape other than through a rescue.

I think humans as usual have put their own agendas before that of the animals and I do agree that in this case, and any case that causes the animal to suffer or be restricted, we have taken it too far. But, these buns are here to stay and whilst I wouldn't choose for any of mine to have been bred that way they are undeniably beautiful in their own right.

I think humans as usual have put their own agendas before that of the animals and I do agree that in this case, and any case that causes the animal to suffer or be restricted, we have taken it too far. But, these buns are here to stay and whilst I wouldn't choose for any of mine to have been bred that way they are undeniably beautiful in their own right.

I wonder what the motive was for breeding them with such huge ears though :? I guess the fact that it's what a human 'wanted' was motive enough.

Human Race = Selfish........:roll:

Janex

I wonder what the motive was for breeding them with such huge ears though :? I guess the fact that it's what a human 'wanted' was motive enough.

Human Race = Selfish........:roll:

Janex

People always want the 'extremes' - just look at giant rabbits or extra fluffy lionheads. All they do is make more work/cost for the owner but they're one of the most desired rbeeders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back