• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bout of Gatric Stasis - now fussy with certain food

Herbert'sMum

Warren Scout
Hi. I'm new to the forum and hope that you all can offer some advice with regard to my five year old lop Herbert.

He is usually in good health, however, at the end of last week I noticed that he was eating all of his usual food with the exception of spring greens and curly parsley (normally favourites). On Saturday he was down in the dumps and off his food completely with no droppings in the litter tray. Suspecting a 'gassy tummy' I took him to the emergency vet where he was treated for gastric stasis. The vet said I had caught it quickly, however, it took another visit for medication and two days of intensive syringe feeding before he started eating on his own again, ie. Monday.

Now four days later, he seems much happier in himself, ie. playing, washing, wanting to be stroked, however, he is eating everything again in good amounts apart from the greens and parsley. I was wondering whether anyone has any idea why this might be....could it simply be that his tummy is still a bit sore so he is avoiding anything which might upset it or could it be psychologicial?

After a recent healthcheck I know that his back teeth are long (no spurs) and will require sorting in a month or two, however, this has never stopped him eating before.

Incidentally, I believe that the gastic stasis was brought on by the use of Panacur (worming solution) as recommended by my vet as a precautionary measure along side his boosters. I thought I was being a responsible rabbit owner and having never administered it before was assured by the vet that there were no side effects, however, as said I am sure it was the culprit......so be warned!

I have since discovered that Panacur causes digestive upsets, nausea and vomiting in cats and dogs so goodness knows what it does to bunnies delicate systems. It is a relatively new product so I have written to the manufacturers and advised them of the incident. No response to date!

Last edited:
:wave: Wecome to RR!!
Interesting idea about the panacur, I have treated all mine and haven't had any side affects. Will keep an eye out next dose time. I've had a few buns with GI and I don't think any of them have been put off any food as a result :rolleyes: but maybe Herbert associates eating the greens and parsley with feeling unwell? Just an idea maybe someone else will be able to give you a better answer. Glad to hear he's on the mend tho. :D

Thanks for the response and nice welcome.....it's great to have found a forum with people who are nuts about bunnies too!

I suppose it's quite understandable that he could be associating certain foods with being ill.......maybe he thinks I'm trying to poison him and that's why he's refusing it!!!! I was worried at first, however, he's eating his pellets and other veg, herbs, dandelion leaves etc. so I suppose he's still getting all the nutrients he needs. I'll just have to change my weekly shopping list now!

You say his back teeth are long, is your vet sure there are no spurs which may be causing him discomfort?
I say this because I noticed one of my bunnies was only eating certain foods recently, ironically he also didn`t want to eat his greens & anything else that required chewing with his back teeth & when i took him to the vets he was found to have molar spurs that were cutting into his cheeks, hence why he was choosing to eat only with his front teeth.

Just a thought,
Su.x

You say his back teeth are long, is your vet sure there are no spurs which may be causing him discomfort?
I say this because I noticed one of my bunnies was only eating certain foods recently, ironically he also didn`t want to eat his greens & anything else that required chewing with his back teeth & when i took him to the vets he was found to have molar spurs that were cutting into his cheeks, hence why he was choosing to eat only with his front teeth.

Just a thought,
Su.x

I've had two vets check his teeth (my regular and also at the emergency surgery). Both said his back teeth were long but with no spurs. Trouble with Herbert is, that I have to take him for regular check ups for his teeth as even when he has had spurs he hasn't stopped eating. The only sign I get is subtle mouth movements and I haven't noticed any of these. As said, he's eating a variety of other food.....wouldn't he have to use his back teeth for hard pellets? Anyway, I'll give him another week to fully get over the gastric stasis and then take him to get his teeth done. I'm reluctant at the moment as I want to make sure he's 100% fit before having a GA.

how much hay does he eat?

He does eat hay but I've always had the problem with him that he's not a big hay eater no matter how much I cut down on his other food. I've tried tempting him with different varieties but with not much luck. He's on the Oxbow Timothy Hay based pellets which he eats no problem, but if I give him the actual Timothy hay he's not impressed. He went for three and half years having no teeth problems and now requires to have the back ones trimmed every six to eight months. I buy willow, apple and pear branches for him to gnaw. As for being fussy at the moment, he won't eat spring greens, curly parsley or sprouts but is OK with Savoy cabbage, coriander, flat leaf parsley, romaine, carrots, pellets and all fruits. He will also eat picked dandelion leaves and grass from my hand or his bowl but will not eat himself from the garden......I just don't understand it. I've booked him in at the vets next week for his teeth to be filed/looked at and also to have a thorough check whilst he's under. Another day of worry which I hate.

would he eat hay if you didn't give him any pellets? I had to do this with mine to get them to eat hay. They are all good hay eaters now and they get a very small handful of pellets in the morning and a small amount of veg in the evening.
Eating hay is the best way to keep his teeth healthy.

would he eat hay if you didn't give him any pellets? I had to do this with mine to get them to eat hay. They are all good hay eaters now and they get a very small handful of pellets in the morning and a small amount of veg in the evening.
Eating hay is the best way to keep his teeth healthy.

He gets one and a half ounces of pellets in the morning (he weighs 2.85kg) and then a bowl with a mixture of greens/herbs/veg (with maybe a small piece of fruit) in the evening. I make sure he has fresh hay every day. I will cut down and see what happens although it won't seem much for a growing lad! I have just gone out and collected a bag of meadow grass to see if he can be tempted.

He gets one and a half ounces of pellets in the morning (he weighs 2.85kg) and then a bowl with a mixture of greens/herbs/veg (with maybe a small piece of fruit) in the evening. I make sure he has fresh hay every day. I will cut down and see what happens although it won't seem much for a growing lad! I have just gone out and collected a bag of meadow grass to see if he can be tempted.

The most healthy diet for them is just hay and veg anyway so it won't hurt to cut down on his pellets a bit :D

My lot are fans of dust-free hay from Lunnen (www.dustfreehay.co.uk). They turn their nose up at Oxbow but love this stuff, they also like Excel Forage, so that may be worth trying.

Thanks. I will order a bale and keep my fingers crossed. I'm just worried still about the situation with his appetite. He's eating but his enthusiam is gone and that's not him. It's almost like he doesn't realise it's food until it's right under his nose.

Back