• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

This might sound like a daft question

Our rabbit goes in her run every day with the guinea pigs (she shares a hutch with them too). Anyway, she digs every time she's out. Now I know this is a natural instinct for them, but the last time she was out she dug so far she was nearly in next door's garden and when she went down in the hole to dig further, we couldn't see her!!!! Is there anything we can do to either stop her or something? I feel really daft for asking, but we've got holes all over the garden now and some of them are quite big.

is there any way you can put the run on paving slabs?
this will stop digging out (or in, by foxes) and will also keep nails short...

Hi :wave: All of my buns are on paving slabs it is much safer for them as they cant dig out and nothing can dig in. As well as doing this, you could also get a box and fill it with hay or bedding, and they will love to dig in that! Also, it is not a good idea to keep rabbits and guinea pigs together, as guinea pigs can become ill and may become injured by a bunny hopping and catching them, even if it was by accident.

Remember to post some piccies!!

You could wire the bottom of the run so they can still eat the grass, it will need replacing every now and then and make sure you dont use chicken wire as that will easily be pulled about and distorted by the bun. You can get decent fox proof/bun proof wire in The Range (the strong squared wire) Also if you wire the bottom make sure all the rabbits and pigs nails are kept nice and short so as not to get them caught under the wire.
Or you can slab an area and grow grass in a large litter tray and put that in everyday with them. If you buy two litter trays and seed them both you can rotate them so that they never run out ;) make sure you drill holes in the bottom of the trays though so that the grass doesn't get water logged.
I prefer mine to have fresh grass rather than dried or hay but obviously when you can't give unlimited grass they must have unlimited hay!
Also you could get a storage box and fill it with soil for her to do her favourite passtime!:D

Welcome to the forum:wave:

The above is all good advice :D
On a different topic though, I don't know if you realise, but its actually not advisable to keep rabbits and guineas together - several reasons; rabbits can severely injure piggies quite by accident with their powerfu;l backlegs, also they have different nutritional requirements and its difficult to accomodate them both together.

Thanks for the advice Leanne. We've got a Range practically up the road from us, so we might look in there later.:D

Thanks for the welcome.:wave:

Is she spayed? My doe does not dig as much now she has been spayed. Also her bunny boyfriend helps keep her out of mischief!

No she hasn't been spayed yet. We got her when she was only 3 months old, she's 8 months old. Does anyone know how much it costs, roughly?

Blossom was one rabbit in particular who use to dig (I so miss her!). Anyway at the beginning I use to fill in the hole and do all sorts to prevent this for fear I would loose her.

But, I learnt that if I allowed her to 'do her thing' she would proceed to take fur, straw etc into the hole. Then at some stage would back-fill the hole!

Obviously a part of her instinctive behaviour and it proved much better to leave her to complete her mission!

Cara

Back