• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

nervous now willow spay day thursday 7th oh no..:(

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
yes its finally arrived..willows being spayed tomorrow andim nervous i know ive had another doe done years ago and my boys have been done but i have forgotten how hard the aftercare is of does..espcialy with the stitches
willows back in the crate cos of her escaping her pen and attacking bif badly...the crate has ametal floor..willow has refused anybedding at all she just chucks it out or pulls everything up in a temper..where its hot and frenchies feel the heat so much more..even as house buns..she insists onsleeping on cool tiles onthe floor inher pen which is now not at her disposal!! or the cool tin tray base of the crate..how am i going to make her comfortable with stitches!!??

ive hoovered her pvet bed tonight and am washing and tumbling it inthe morning when i get back..in the op e she might actually use it..

bif and bertie are going too in their buggy carrier..both having apedicure and bertie having his weird lump checked and bif being checked overt o see hows she healing..very hot tomorrow and bertie doesnt handle heat easy..so ive got 3 500ml water bottles frozen and im puting them in their carrier and one in willows..but the vets decant the pets and transport them to the hospital in special wire cages for safety.Bif n bertie will be home way before shes even got to the hospital! so ill come home disinfect al willows tuff and the crate..

gawd what astressful and very expensive day tomorrow! what an expensive week its been..the vets have allmy overdraft an all!!
still its gota be done.
wish willow luck..and keep fingers crossed bertie handles the heat ok..poor old soul.
Bifs the problem withlicking htat damned cream off! hope shes healing ok too.
will let you know.
i forgot to ask petra if they use dissolvable stitches an all..im such atwit!

Last edited:
Hopefully they will glue her instead of using stitches. Phoebe pulled her stitches out and had to have metal staples instead :roll:
I wouldn't worry to much about it if she has stitches. Just check they are still in place a few times a day. I don't think they are uncomfortable for them. She will most likely just want to lie down for the first couple of days anyway. You may need to put food and water to her mouth to encourage her to eat and drink. I gave mine a spoonful of water to their lips to get them to drink. They also went off pellets for a few days and preferred eating greens, mainly dandelion leaves.
Good luck, hope all goes well.

thank you..very helpful.

well ive just rang the hospital...and i can go to our vets to pick her up at 4.30...yaayyyy

petra said this morning they might have to keep her in overnight..the op is harder for a big bunny or a tiny bunny..
the risks are ecscalated.
i was so worried..but shes fine thats great..
ive disinfected every thing she owns! and im off now to put a clean cotton sheet in her cage to lay on..ive washed her fleece but i need to tumble it first and im not sure shell use it or if ehr stitches will catch on it.
ill ask petra when i pick willow up..

im soo relieved..now all i have to wory about is the nursing side of things!!
keep the willow vibes coming shes such a scared bun this morning..reallty heartbreaking.

I was a very bad bunny mom :oops: and put off spaying my bunny until she was almost 4 because I just couldn't deal with the idea of operating on that tiny little body. Finally I did it, and my little girl hardly noticed anything had been done to her. She lay low the first night home, but was eating, pooping and drinking, and then it was a challenge to keep her quiet for the next few days! Hopefully your Willow will come throough the same way!

Well it was to good to be true wasnt it..should have been quiet:(

i booked a taxi.got nikki loaded up in her wherelchair for the second time today..she wanted to hold willow in the carrier all the way home...

we got there and was laughing and joking with the receptionist..andin walked petra..and she said oh now theyve been tryng to get hold of you..
um why? well apperently our taxi was early and they tried to ring the house..but our phone had gone nuts..and we didnt know and obviously they couldnt find my mobile number.

petra was just geting willow ready to load up when she had a funny turn..shed been getting brighter and brighter and had some hay..then suddenly she went all floppy and sleepy and just fell over!!

shes told me not to panic..its just she was having a rough time shaking off the general aneasthetic..and ill be ok to collect her tomorrow afternoon..
petra spen ages aplogising to us for our trip down there..but it was fine..i knew she was safe and sound and in a small animal ward .
But its left me feelign very peculiar.ive spoent all evening looking at the tumle dried fleece and toy and her lovely clean soft crate..and ive shuddered many times..the others dont seem to worry or realsie shes gone or if bif has..shes happy!!

Petra said shes used deep layers of stitching so she cant get at the others and pull it all open..which is a huge relief..

but now i type this wondering if shell be ok..will i get aphone call tomorrow telling me shes gone downhill and has died..
im a nervous wreck tonight..

and most stupid of all i forgot to send her fod in with her..im a muppet..petra sai they have excel ther but shes eating hay and theres recovery stuff too..
i think loking at an empty rabit cage is really stirring up nasty memories..:(

be safe my big fluffbun baby..willow..you gotta pull through ok..i had no ones nose to rub for ages tonight..xx

I'm sure she will be fine. My Jess had to stay in overnight after her op cos she was struggling to shake off the GA. The fact that Willow has woken up is positive and I'm sure she'll make a full recovery once she's back home with her Mum.

ive disinfected every thing she owns!

Is that a good idea? I'd have thought coming home would be less stressful if she had familiar scents than coming home to a sterile enviorment? I'm moving in the next few weeks and had oridinally planned like you to take the opportunity to disifnfect all my hucthes in the move, but others have advised that its actually best to clean out the day or so before - not disinfect and then not clean out for a few days after the move - that way as much as they're in a whole new area, the hutch etc and bedding all smells completely familiar and should put them at ease. Sllightly different circumstance I know but just a thought.

Anyway I hope she comes round ok, I was so nervous about having Doris spayed the other month - and I'm seriously considering trying to bond her and Topher without him being done and see how they get on because the thought of putting him under scares the living :censored: out of me!!

familar smell is the bst thing but her crate was dusty from the fan running in our lounge and her tray was in desoerate need of clening..and being unspayed she stunk the lolunge out everytime she went!

i need it clean to prevent infection but to ensure famialr smells shes inthe lounge as usual and the cats have gone in a scented it for her..she adores the kittens theyre ehr best mates and they adore her and bertie and bif is salems foster mum lol she liter traiend him!

im going to pick out some poos from the bag where i cleaned her out and popped them in her tray.

the smell of everything new will have worn off now..and disinfect well i used cascade not virkon its something i use or johnsons keep it clean ont heir liter trays esp..so shes used to the smell.
her buny had we on him not very nice to cuddle up to..she did it on purpose tho litle madam!

bertie and bif havent even gone up to the cage..i think they think shes gone away for good..they arent runing orund it as usual or sleeping up against the edges etc.

I telephoned the hospital this morning and they put me through to the ward shes on and theysaid she wont eat the food..shehasnt touched the hay or gras but has been given critical care in a syringe..they agree with me she may eat better once shes home in her own surroundings with the familar smells of home and noises like tv etc..she may well relax easier to let me feed her some greeens etc.

i was told if no one had rung me by 3.30 to rng up and check..i think i will wait and ring up just before 4.30 to esure shes actually going to cowplain branch surgery or if theyre keeping her in.

ohmy the hasle!

hmm males being neutered are so much easier than having does spayed..
allt he bucks weve had that have been neutred bounce back in under 24 hours usually. they have sore bits and metacam helps sometimes if its really sore a warm bath in slat water eases it but all my bucks never needed that.
oscar wasnt too good on the side effects but he was sooo tiny and it was a different vets..they use a different GA to the one i am at now..if i remebr right..cant rember the name but ill pick up a recepit today and pop it up here the name of the GA.
please DONT not bother having your bun done due to worry and previous experience..its wellw orth it and the risks arent like they used to be even when i had my first buck a few years ago now..its changing all the time..and not just buns..when our kitten was spayed the inscision was almost an inch long and she was running around like alooney when i got her home!:shock:
cause..diff types of cuts approach to spay..and diff GA.

a done bunyand an undone bunny dont bond well..the other one will always be horny and harras the done bunny soemtimes to a deadly duel..and bonding will be impossible..
look at what happened betwen willow and bif this week!!

when willows hormones have died down abit and her wound has healed over 2 weeks i wil begin bonding the three of them..

if i get my wickle big girl back today..i really do worry now..poor little willow.

keep the vibes coming..she needs to come home to get nursed in surroundings shes comfortable with. thank you all.

Back