• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pictures as requested of Skippy and Betty

Betty.jpg

Skippystanding.jpg

Skippyroyalrug.jpg

Pictures as promised. They look alike don't they?.......not!

Lovely to see Skippy again..and sorry to say this but Betty does have the look of a wild bun about her face

Skippy is gorgeous! I think Betty looks wild too. Is there a wildlife rescue anywhere that would know what to do with a spayed wild rabbit?

I would go as far as saying that Betty is DEFINATELY a wild Bunny.
Hopefully in time she will settle. I had a wild Bun, hand reared from 4 weeks, and she became a content domesticated Bun. She was with us for 7 years and her name was Katie.

Janex

I would go as far as saying that Betty is DEFINATELY a wild Bunny.
Hopefully in time she will settle. I had a wild Bun, hand reared from 4 weeks, and she became a content domesticated Bun. She was with us for 7 years and her name was Katie.

Janex

But that was ok for Katie cos she was so young.

I don't think anyone else agrees but I'm not convinced it is right to keep Betty if she is wild :cry: I think Estelles suggestion is a good one.

I agree Mandy, perhaps a wildlife hospital/rescue will know of a facility with other wildies who can't be released for whatever reason... she would be happier with them.

But that was ok for Katie cos she was so young.

I don't think anyone else agrees but I'm not convinced it is right to keep Betty if she is wild :cry: I think Estelles suggestion is a good one.

But she's spayed isn't she :? Wont that effect her integration with un-neutered wild Buns :?
I must admit Betty looks none too happy in that piccie :? :cry:

I really dont know what would be best for her but I do think contacting a Wildlife rehabilitation centre would be a good idea.

There is Tiggywinkles

http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

And perhaps a word with the RSPCA centre you adopted her from. They should have known better.......:roll:

Janex

Last edited:
But she's spayed isn't she :? Wont that effect her integration with un-neutered wild Buns :?

Janex

yeah, I think she would need to go to a sanctuary with other wildies that can't be fully released... that would be the most natural life that is open to her now. :(

Yes I agree Jane and Faye, there must be somewhere she could live a semi wild life, without the problems of being released back into the real wild...or being kept in a hutch?

A mahoosive enclosure would be ideal so she could dig a burrow etc :?

I have been in touch with the RSPCA to find out the actual circumstances of Betty arriving with them. She was picked up near Braunstone park and staff initially thought that she was wild . However, after observing her and feeding her for a couple of days they were sure that she must have been taken from the wild a while ago as she ate rabbit pellet food immediately and she showed no aggression when held tightly. The lady I spoke to was sure that a wild rabbit would try to bite and would scream if grabbed and she never showed either of these traits. They did initially consider releasing her into the park but decided that if someone had managed to catch her this time then she maybe wouldn't last long. Apparently there are some sick people out there who do capture wild animals for pets and then when the novelty wears off they let them go and they are sure this is what has happened. They feel that maybe Betty has been captive for a while and has either been released or has escaped because the couple that brought her in said that she had been 'hanging around' for a few days. Thanks for your advice everyone and I have emailed a wildlife rescue to get some info from them.

Aww thats awful that someone would do that Sue :evil: Poor Betty.

So it does sound like the RSPCA did think it through a bit more than it first sounded, and thats a good point about her being captured so easily :( . I'm sure she'll have a happy life with you, maybe she just needs to settle in a bit more and have a husbun.

That's terrible that this has only come to light now. Why couldn't they just be straight with you in the first place.

Now you have been put in an awful position where you might have to face giving her up again.

I don't envy you Sue! However, I am sure your decision will be for the best and we will support you whatever.

Back