• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis vaccine ... before or after bonding?

LizJ

Warren Scout
Asta is booked in for her annual myxomatosis vaccination this evening, but we're being homechecked for a husbun on Saturday so there's a possibility she'll be going to a rescue for bonding next week.

Don't know about the vaccination status of the bunnies at the rescue and I obviously want to protect Asta but don't want to put the rescue's buns at risk.

Does anyone know whether a newly vaccinated bunny (<1 week) can be a risk to unvaccinated bunnies?

I'm not worried about her being stressed before bonding as she's fine with the vets and the myxi vaccine, just worried that she might be a danger to unvaccinated buns? Anyone know?

Sorry I have no idea.

I would say your bun would be protected from day 1 but I could be wrong.

Hopefully Jack's-Jane will see this and be able to advise when she has a minute, I know she has her hands full with the little boblets at the moment!

I would go ahead with the vaccination tonight as Asta really needs that protection. A full immune response should be achieved 7 days after vaccinating.The immune response is dependent on the idividual Buns immune status at vaccination and in the week subsequent to vaccination. Stress impacts on a Buns immune system and bonding is stressful. If Asta were mine I'd re-arrange the home-check + bonding for the week-end after next to allow her immune response to the vaccine to really kick in.

Good luck :)

Janex

Thank you both for your help.

I've spoken to the rescue and the bonding should now be bit later on (still subject to homecheck/vet reference, so trying not to get too excited :) ) and I'm going to have Asta vaccinated tonight as planned.

Thank you for helping :D

Liz

Back