• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

oven gloves

ecudc

Warren Veteran
This may sound a little unusual but when I got home yesterday there was a fly buzzing around the house. I generally check sooty once a day and he's fine being picked up half of the time but sometimes he'll let me pick him up then starts kicking within seconds (not picking him up differently as far as I can tell). When i tried to pick him up the first time yesterday he was having none of it, but because of the fly I really wanted to check he was OK.

Now this is a little unorthadox but I thought that if I picked him up with a pair of oven gloves, my bf might be able to get a 2 second look without my hands getting cut to the bone. So oven glove on, sooty picked up and absolutly no reaction at all except to continue eating his pellet. I'm guessing that maybe the width and the softness of the gloves might have made him think he was still on the ground as i didn't lift him that far. The other possibility is that maybe he'd hurt himself during the day so my hands had hurt him but the oven glove didn't. He hasn't shown any sign of pain and as soon as I put him down gave me a little bunny nudge and went back to munching on his food before joining us in the sitting room for his normal nighly run around.

Anyway it was just a thought for any bunny owners who had difficulty checking their rabbit for fly strike but the buns were perfectly happy with human contact otherwise. Sooty didn't seem at all stressed by it (he normally stops eating if he's worried and would normally stamp if he's scared for about an half an hour after)

I use our cellar gloves from work for difficult bunnies. Their like leather gardeners gloves.

I think Angie does the oven glove thing though :lol:

Back