• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 Seperate Poorly Bunnies-please Help

montyflossy

Alpha Buck
Hi Guys,

I have 2 poorly bunnies this evening (not linked) and I really need some help.

1. Flossy has been undergoing long term treatment for EC as her eye began to get distorted. Her eye has now got to the stage where it is all ruby with a bit whiteish bob covering where her pupil used to be (not a cataract much more defined than this and it has grown)
This evening Flossy seems depressed and her eye is mostly closed. It is also weeping. She is still eating, drinking and pooping. She is still on Panacur it is her second course. PLEASE ANY IDEAS, I am very worried that she is detiriorating. I will be ringing my vet in morning to get him to come and see her, but I want to be prepared.
Is it likely we are treating the right thing and she does have EC, or could it be a tumour?

2. One of the 12 week old foster babies has swollen genetalia which is a bit scabby. She is vaccinated. It was not like this yesterday and the others are not like it. It could have been nibbled by one of the others but it looks like it has build up of fluid right on her genetals and it is quite enlarged. She is acting normally and if anyhing is more the bully than the other 2. I have seperated her this eve and again she can see a vet tomorrow.

Feel awful as I didn't get home from work til late and so much seems to have occured in a day :(

PLEASE HELP,

Lucy x

Hi Lucy

It sounds as though Flossy may now have a Uveitis (inflammation of the middle layer of the eye) This is a common occurence with occular EC related problems. Your Vet is likely to prescribe eye drops that contain an antibiotic and a steroid. You may have to keep Flossy on these longterm to control the uveitis.

Do you know the history of the baby bun? Treponamatosis (Rabbit Syphilis) can be transmitted from Doe to kits during birth. One of the symptoms are crusty lesions on the genitals. The nose and mouth are often effected too.

Or maybe baby bun has a slight infection. I would gently clean the area with cooled boiled water. Dry it off well and apply a little Vaseline to protect the skin from wee/poo

I hope all goes well when they see the Vet

Janex

Hi Jane,

My vet and I have discussed Uveitis but as yet she has only had one course of eye drops (which has now finished and can't remember what they were now ) I will ask for something for her tomorrow. Is she likely to be in pain? Whats the general thought on Ec, can she get better? Her eye has been steadily getting worse over the course of 3 months and I believe she is now blind in this eye.

Unfortunately no history of baby bun she was part of quite an urgent rescue.:(

Jane, I do hope Bobbie and the Boblets are well (or as well as can be expected) and that all your other bunnies are well too. I hope also that today has been a better day.

Lucy x

The Bun here with an EC related Uveitis (Murphy) has had to remain on MAXITROL Eye drops to keep the inflammation under control. At the outset of the problem he was treated with a 28 day course of Panacur, 14 days of Baytril + Metacam and Tiacil Eye Drops. After the 14 days the Tiacil was replaced by Maxitrol and the Metacam and Baytril were stopped. Once the 28 day course of Panacur was completed the Maxitrol was continued for a further 2 weeks. We tried to stop it but every time we did so the inflammation in the eye recurred. Now, after almost a year, Murphy's condition is controlled by just one drop of Maxitrol EVERY OTHER DAY :) Although he has no sight in the effected eye he is not in pain aslong as the inflammation is well controlled.

Here is a bit of info on EC

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

It may be a good idea to 'Panacur' any new rescues you take in as the recent EC study revealed that at least 50% of domestic Rabbits will have a positive test for EC. I believe the 9 day course of Panacur Rabbit is recommended as a PREVENTATIVE treatment

http://www.intervet.co.uk/products_public/panacur_rabbit/010_overview.asp

If active EC is suspected then at least a 28 day course is required at a dose of 20mg/kg

Janex :)

Last edited:
thank you Jane I will take note of these products and speak to my vet today. Flossy is kept isolated from the other buns since her eye began to change as I did read that this could be spread by spores in their urine but I will also speak to my vet about a preventative course for the new rescue coming.

Many Thanks as always!

Lucy x

Back