• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will she remember him

debpayne

Young Bun
Hello,
Rolo went in to be neutered today and I've just telephoned the vet and she's keeping him in overnight as she hasn;t seen him eat yet although he's recovering well..pheww
What I'm wondering is..will Cookie remember him when he comes back tomorrow, they've been living together for the past two months and I wondered how long being apart does it take for them to not know each other?? If that makes sense?? Can they be put straight back in together or should we give him a rest on his own for a few days.
Thanks
Debbie

I have to separate Little Sweety from Starr everytime Starr goes in for an operation, and it's usually for a couple of weeks, and usually they recognise each other right away.

Thanks for that Jessika, that's made me feel much better although I feel so sorry for them both tonight....Can't wait for the morning

Deb

Rabbits rely a lot on smell and he may smell strange after being to the vets so as a precaution you could put them together somewhere neutral for a couple of hours when he first comes home. Rubbing bedding from her cage over him (avoiding the wound) may help too - just to get rid of that 'hospital' smell :)

We picked Rolo up and have set up a hutch low to the ground with an attached run facing the exisiting run with cookie in adn it is so sweet, they are kind of kissing each other through the wire and touching their paws onto the wire as if one is in prison....I do feel so sorry for them both as normally they are snuggled up together at this time of day....
My vet kind of shrugged off me bringing them in together (I asked as I read it on here) and I never even got the chance to speak to the vet. When we took Rolo in yesterday the receptionist took him from me and and I stood there and she said "that's it, give us a ring at 2.30" I did and they decided to keep him overnight but when I picked him up this morning the receptionist just went out the back, brought him out in his carrier and gave him to me, no refernece to after care or anything! ..Is this normal? I just feel weird that he has been in and been neutered and I never got to actually see or speak to the vet. Thank goodness for this forum

Deb

When Scout was speyed Fiver and Marley went with her but she couldnt be put back with them during recovery any way so it was a bit of a waste of time. I have read that it is most important not to seperate unrelated female rabbits as they have the weakest bond.

I think bunnies have long memories of those they have bonded with.
I got my bun as a baby and she immediately attached herself to my old dog. It was adorable to watch my big dog and little mini bun cuddling up together. They were close buddies for years until my dog suddenly died of a splenic torsion (still sad:cry: ). It was pathetic watching little bun hop around the house looking for the dog. Every time we would come home from work bun would run over, eagerly look around for her Gwennie, then sadly hop off. She didn't play with any of her toys, her appetite decreased, she didn't go charging around the house at top speed like she always did, she just sat on her couch. That went on for a couple of weeks, at least. I was already walking around crying all the time; that just made me really start bawling!
Luckily, the next dog I bought home also adored little bunnies, so d'Artagnon didn't have to be lonely for long.

I separated Alex & Barley at the vets request - she was the ill one. But it was her who wouldn't accept him back & i re-bonded from scratch.

My bonded 9 are all unrelated (except 2). I took Kendra out to get her spayed & 10 days later popped her back in. No one batted an eyelid:lol:

Back