• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly has pneumonia :( She seems better!

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
One of our new rescue buns has very advanced pneumonia. She is so thin her head looks huge for her body, her fur is dull and falling out in clumps....she resembles a walking skeleton :cry: She may also have EC and is on 28 day panacur along with Baytril to try and get her chest under control.

When she was at the vets we let her wander on the floor to see how she walked and the nurse came in to take Trixie and Megan off for their speys and said 'Oh she's a grumpy one'. The noise she intepreted as grunting was her struggling to breathe....so loud she could hear it from the floor.

The little girl is putting up a fight and is still eating well....she also has the fire on for warmth. Please send some vibes Mollys way, Im so worried for her. :cry: Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Last edited:
When we had a chap with breathing problems our vet suggested we pop him in a carrier covered with a towel a few times a day with a jug of boiling water with some Olbas Oil in, to help clear his airways and free up his breathing a bit. It worked well but you obviously need to closely supervise them. We actually tied the jug to the side of the carrier to prevent him from tipping it over.

If her condition is advanced I'm surprised they haven't started her off on something a bit stronger like Penicillin to get a handle on things. Our chap was on a Penicillin injections every 48 hours for a week then a two week course of Baytril.

Louise

Ill give that a try. She had a jab while we were ther bt im afraid in the bustle (I wa trying to sign consent forms for the other two at the same time) I didnt ask what it was :oops: I have been offering her porridge with banana and raisins to try and fatten her up but she is more interested in pellets and veg so tis a case of what Molly wants Molly gets!

Is it possibe that as she is so thin penicillin could have done untold damage to her gut...given its rather delicate position at the moment?

I will get her some probiotics tonight too.

Vets normally put rabbits on probiotics when administering Penicillin as it is pretty heavy duty stuff and can mess the gut up. I'm not an expert but I wouldn't of thought Baytil would be that effective against advanced Pneumonia.

I'm sure Jane will be able to advise you better. :oops: :lol:

Louise

You could try mixing some Excel Junior in with her normal pellets to help get some weight on her. Its fairly high in protein.

Louise

I would strongly advise you ask your Vet about using Depocillin Injections. Baytril really is only of limited use for severe respiratory tract infections.
Even Septrin would be better than Baytril, but as Molly appears to be very poorly I think Depocillin would be a risk worth taking. If your Vet is not happy with this try suggesting a long acting Tetracycline (Oxytet La). Its given as an intra-muscular injection every 3 days. The Tetracyclines are marginally less of a risk re gut dysbiosis than the Penicillins.
I would also give her Fibreplex. Not only is it a pro/prebiotic but it has fibre too which is important in minimising gut dysbiosis
Feeding some Blackberry leaves every day may help prevent the absorption of 'bad bacteria' from the guts into the bloodstream. A high dose of Vitamin C can reduce the rate of production of enterotoxins.
Poor Molly :cry: I hope she pulls through

Janex

Poor Molly. I second the Olbas Oil. Also, I've found that a steam with Vicks works really well with small animals.

I hope she feels better soon.

Molly is much brighter this morning. She has spent the night on the snugglesafe and came running for breakfast for the first time. She has wolfed down her greens and is munching through her pellets, her hay rack was nearly empty too.

Jane I was also thinking about Seprtin as a stronger alternative....I will give Anita a ring today and see what she thinks. I really have got to find out what vet my appointment is with before I go in future :oops:

Molly is much brighter this morning. She has spent the night on the snugglesafe and came running for breakfast for the first time. She has wolfed down her greens and is munching through her pellets, her hay rack was nearly empty too.

Jane I was also thinking about Seprtin as a stronger alternative....I will give Anita a ring today and see what she thinks. I really have got to find out what vet my appointment is with before I go in future :oops:

That sounds very promising :D Please keep us updated about Molly

Janex

Back