• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can someone help me find this syringe?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
yesterday at the vets becky the vet gave me the most amzing syringe to go force feed bif with..its so wonderful it doesnt clog with re covery mix or anything!!

they dont s tock them..she "borrowed" six off the cattle vet!!
she said they used them in bristol where she trained..but even the main hospital here doesnt carry them..

shes thinking about ordering some for bunny owners but doesnt know if shell be able to.

they are huge things extre,ely wide bore..and instead of the little nozzle it looks more like a wide icing nozzle!!
its actually a cow catheter syringe she said..but i cant find one online im looking but no luck..i need you experienced folks to help here!!

if she could id say make them all in a bulk order and sell them to patients..bunny owners would gladly pay for that!! im chuffed she gave me mine for free. well she did say how she got it so couldnt charge eh!
bunnybascis youa round hint hint..youd sell a lot of them!!;)

Apparently......You have to be careful when syringe feeing with a big syringe (big, as in capacity) as there is a lot of pressure when plunged. Even if you only use a tiny amout of food the diameter affects the pressure and my vet nurses wouldnt let me have anything bigger than a 5ml for the buns..... hmmmmm the hole was tiny though and pretty useless, so I can see why those big ones work.

I also have a special syringe which little kitten teats fit on (for feeding orphan kits) the hole on that (without the flexi teat on) is bigger than the average syringe, but still thin enough not to be too pressurised..... if that makes sense, phew!:lol:

Apparently......You have to be careful when syringe feeing with a big syringe (big, as in capacity) as there is a lot of pressure when plunged. Even if you only use a tiny amout of food the diameter affects the pressure and my vet nurses wouldnt let me have anything bigger than a 5ml for the buns..... hmmmmm the hole was tiny though and pretty useless, so I can see why those big ones work.

I also have a special syringe which little kitten teats fit on (for feeding orphan kits) the hole on that (without the flexi teat on) is bigger than the average syringe, but still thin enough not to be too pressurised..... if that makes sense, phew!:lol:

actually hun, you have it the wrong way round, the bigger the syringe the less pressure exerted, however, they will hold more, so if you do squirt hard, more comes out

actually hun, you have it the wrong way round, the bigger the syringe the less pressure exerted, however, they will hold more, so if you do squirt hard, more comes out

Thank you, thank you, thank you Tupperwarequeen!!! That was my argument in the vets, but against 3 nurses I had no chance of winning and they wouldnt let me have a bigger syringe, they said I'd choke the bun and they almost convinced me I was mad!!!:shock:

grrr i wish i could remember the name of this medicine stuff cody had to have. it had a normal sized syringe to suck the stuff up out oif the bottle but it had a really wide nozzle bit (the stuff went on food) i was going to keep the syringe as it would have been excellent at syringe feeding but i was worried incase it had meds on it :?

grrr i wish i could remember the name of this medicine stuff cody had to have. it had a normal sized syringe to suck the stuff up out oif the bottle but it had a really wide nozzle bit (the stuff went on food) i was going to keep the syringe as it would have been excellent at syringe feeding but i was worried incase it had meds on it :?

Metacam syringes come with a bigger hole.:)

Thank you, thank you, thank you Tupperwarequeen!!! That was my argument in the vets, but against 3 nurses I had no chance of winning and they wouldnt let me have a bigger syringe, they said I'd choke the bun and they almost convinced me I was mad!!!:shock:

no problem!! We have to use certain size syringes for flushing the lines for the babies at work, we did a demo once to show the Drs (who are forever just grabbing any old syringe) how you can literally blow the end off the line by using a 5 or 2 ml syringe instead of the 10ml stated in the policy:shock: :shock:

the physics is to do with the area over which the force is spread when you push the plunger, the smaller the syringe, the smaller the plunger, and the more force ....or something like that :roll: :roll:

When we had to syringe feed Oscar last year, the vet cut the end off the syringe to make the hole bigger, otherwise she said it could choke him.
So yes you are right:p

I guess cutting the end of changes the pressure, arrrgggghhh physics never was my strongest subject!:lol:

I use a 1ml syringe doctored. The whole end is chopped off so its a cylinder. I then put plaster round the plunger so it cant go down the throat. My vet sent me a few and I copied them :D No clogs and entirely safe:D

Yeah i used a 1ml syringe with the end chopped off.. my vet did it for me and made the end smooth.
You should be able to get a 50ml syringe bladder syringe from a chemist maybe? We use them at work but ive never tried using one to syringe feed my rabbits.. id be worried id squirt too much out at a time as mine only took 0.5mls at a time anyways;)

ive used the metacam syringe.lousy..ive cut off ends of syringes..never had much luck..
the other problem is buns who bite the tips off anyway!

Yup the pick you sent as the link looks very similar..and its fab ti use..

physics..omg do i have to think then..lol

smaler syringes are easier to use but i find we end up pushing it through and choking bunny..bigger ones like the cow catheter on is ideal for me..whatever you use is great..i just want to know where i coul dget some more in the future..thanks to all the input guys..im not having to syringe feed bif at al now shes stuffing her face fingers crossed she does a whole load of poo..if not fibreplex and rabbit recovery inthe syringe..sigh....

the one our vet gave us is a 60ml one with a very large end on it.

even though it is huge it is really easy to use.

yes i checked ours its a 60 one too..its scary how big it is to be honest but it dos the job..

ooh really!! ill have to get my daughter to go have alook! i wouldnt mind stocking up on a few i tell you! frenchies being syringe fed can chew the darn things into pieces on the first night!:lol:

Back