• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barney and the battle of the litter tray

Hi

Need help before Barney has to start wearing nappies.

Weve had Barney for about 3 months and hes about 7 months old. Problem we have is he just dosnt want to use his litter tray!
Hes wee'd on the bed twice, his blanket once and just wees around his litter tray but never in it. We know he likes the corner where the tray is but just dumps and wees around it. We put hay in the tray but no joy, weve put some of his dumps in there as well but he just dosnt get the idea.

Please please help and tell me what i can do, its driving me nuts.

Many thanks

Jen

What size of litter tray does he have? Is it high sided?

I found that my boy bun Joey was always peeing over the edge/round about the litter tray but when I got him a high sided one he could easily manouvre into the corner and he has been fine ever since.

Also, has he been neutered? I think that helped loads with Joey too.

Yes he is neutured and he has got a large litter tray but i cant see how a high sided one will help. Id love it if if did as hes still making big puddles.

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help Help hes driving me mad!!!!:(

When I was having problems with my boys weeing in places other than the litter tray I bought a couple more so that the whole area they used was litter trays. After a while I removed two of them and they were fine. I have big high sided corner trays, I used to also put things where they might try to wee like an upside down plastic bin or box. I also put a plastic sheet(with towels on top) under the litter trays.

Another thing to try is when you see him about to wee, pick him up and put him in the litter tray.

Hope this helps.

:D :D

Squidgy was perfectly litter trained, until we changed the litter :roll: It seems he doesn't like the wooden cat litter pellets, but prefers carefresh. Try changing the litter and see what happens.
A high litter tray might help, as bunnies like to back up into a corner to wee, which may go over the top of a normal litter tray.

I have also found that mutiple litter trays work. Soiled papaer in the tray definatly works and high sides can also help. My Barney was sitting in his tray but because he shoves his bum right to the edge he was able to wee over the side...he didn't mean to though. Sometimes it's a lot of trial and error. Once they have we'd in a spot though it can help to clean the area with white vinegar as it takes the smell of his wee away and stop him weeing there again.

Back