• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please!

Ozzy'sMummy

Alpha Buck
My friend in america recently found some baby rabbit in her garden. She didn't touch them or go too near as the mother is around to feed them and look after them. They had just opened their eyes.

Today I got this PM from her on the music forum were on together saying this:

"Hello

I've got a slight concern with the litte rabbits and I was hoping you could help me since you've seem to know quite a bit about them. This morning I woke up and went to check on them and found only two (there were six all together) and I've been chasing a stray cat out of the yard so I was worried that maybe it decided to ah...feast on the rabbits. But I think that if he did that I would notice.

But my more optimistic solution to this question was that maybe a few of them left their little burrow and the other two just aren't ready yet.

Or the mother abandoned them?

Any of your speculations are welcome."

Anyone got any advice? I don't want to think about but maybe the cat has 'played' with them :?

Thanks in advance

XxXx

Hi, I am in America too, so I am familiar with our cottontail rabbits. They mature faster than domestic rabbits do and if I recall correctly are fully weaned from the mom by 4 weeks. They still look really small but are capable of taking care of themselves although they aren't always as fearful as they should be.

It's possible that the stray cat or other predators have gotten some of them. Most wild rabbits live very short lives. However if the babies were out of the nest it's also possible that they have started to scatter to other territories.

P.S. Tell your friend to contact the local shelter and see if they have humane traps for cats available. Then she can trap the stray and bring it in for health care and so it can be adopted.

Back