• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

im a terrible bunnymum :(

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
I had alousy night and dint even try to sleep till nearly 4 am..even wiht a fan on it was sweltering in my room. I didnt lseep well anyway to boot so laid inths morning..i knew the buns had pleanty of food in bowls from last nights feeding and enuff hay and water well it might be a bit low by the time i get down there but its a dog bowl after all for them!
i got inot the lounge at about 9.50am and saw what i thought was bif chasing bertie like the little madam she is..only to realsie that bertie was snoring under the coffee table and it was willow bif had been chasing!1 Oh yes wilow who skleeps inthe playpen in the lounge and cant lift it up..omg she must have jumped over the panels..but how?

there was fur everywhere...it was bifs..and i nearly cried out loud..i gently picked bif up and nikki examine dher..omg mum she said cal the vets quick..theres no skin on the under part of her neck and thers a huge bite on her shoulder..oh mum poor bif...

it was true so i rang the vets who said theyd get me in by 10.50 so i rang the taxi who promised to be here by 10.30..by now it was almost 10.20..i put willow back in her pen and dashed upstiars got teethbrushed and chucked on my clothes ( had shower etc when i got back!) then i took over fromnikki stroking bif and she got dressed..she came within her wheelchair..

i felt so appallled that id slept in and didnt rush at hearing any noise..im so used to willow trying to drag the whole pen across the floor which is carpet free now and has the old slippery malrey tiles..which is why i didnt think shed be able to jump out..

i was so wrong..becky said the wounds were superficial but very sore esp her neck..she gave me some cream dermasol i think and baytril and a special syringe used for cow catheters..perfect for syringe feeding bunnies!
bif had 3 jabs..one baytril..onemetcam and one metaclop..she bathed her wounds and said we must use salt water and then the cream..
her biggest fear is bifs nervous condition..shes so stressed and scared she wanted us to hug her!! we took her down minus bertie as he was still sleping and hed not make the heat..she was so sore anyway we thought it best to have her wounds sorted first..
he was still sleeping when we got home!
bif has setlled down for a sleep now..ben asleep for an hour or two now..willow is now reinstalled inthe rotweiler crate much to her disgust..and i feel so nagry at myself..
willows a lovely friendly outgoing bunny complete opposite to bif..but bertie on sped is what she is..

i love my litle bif so much..shes gone through so much hassle..i wish id left her in the rescue to live with someone else who didnt mess her life up like ive done..im a bad bad bunmum and dont desreveany of my buns..

willows hormnes have kicked in in thelast week and her spay day is thursday whch cant come son enough..and then once healed etc i will have to bonmd them but bifs such a mess now im scared she might keel over or give up like she is..

oh why oh why was i soooo stupid..i thought getting a third bunny and abigger placid bun like bertie once its grown was excellenet for bif and wouldnt be scared of the kittnes..

i should have been sensible..i was not doing it for the right reasons..i wanted company for bif in case anything happened to bertie..and for bertie if anything happened to bif..i mean all my buns have died after living with me after 18 months..oscar only had 16 months with us..i have ben dreading the over the first year amrk..which ive reached with bif..which is 15 months now..

instead ive ruined everything by getting willow..my mums yeleld at me..i feel sick..

nikki said mum its an acicdnet..you know its cos shes not spayed or bonded and any bun can get out..itll take time but it wil be better for bif to have bunnies all around her than just one bun cos bertie sleps too much!
but i know nwo im doomed..im doing my room as best i can and when the bonding goes ahead..if it fails then willow will have the run of upstauirs and half the staircase and thre gardnes etc..
ims o sad..im so horrible..im wr acked with guilt...

Debbie this was not your fault!!! PLEASE dont blame yourself, you arent a bad bunny mum AT ALL!!!! :shock: Every single one of the decisions you've made were based on your buns happiness hun, and although your blaming yourself for sleeping in, what if you were out or something? We cant give up our lives completely for the bunsters - you'd had no sleep. What if you'd not slept til 4 then got up at 6, ok you might've stopped the buns fighting but you could've had a serious accident or something through lack of sleep! Then who'd look after the buns? Bif has an amazing mummy (and sister!!) to look after her and make her well again, Huge hugs to the little one. It'll all be alright, please please please dont feel guilty though matie :) Xx

please dont blame yourself, as becki just said, fate had it happen thsi way, but had you of got up at 6 far worse could of happened.

sadly it is a fact that soem animals will amze us withw hat they can do (ie escaping a rottie cage), it isnt something you could of pre-empted happening tho.

thinking of you, and hopinga ll goes well from here.

beckie x

I agree you're not a terrible bunny-mummy at all.

Accidents just happen and there is nothing you can do. Don't beat yourself up over it.

Hugs

FC

Deb mate, DONT blame yourself! I know all too well, that sometimes things happen we just cant control. Even though we know we could have dont things differently, fate is a funny thing and we ALL learn through our experiences, good or bad.

Bif is lucky girl to to have such a wonderful bunny mummy, many buns out there suffer in silence and never even get to see a vet when things go wrong. Give her a gentle hug from me and I'm sure she'll be back to her old self in no time. XXX

Oh no, you are NOT a terrible bunny mum at all! :( Look at the facts - a truly terrible bunny mum wouldn't have rushed Bif to the vets as soon as she had seen what had happened, but you did! Accidents happen to everyone and although we feel absolutely awful about them, all we can really do is our very best and you did that so please, don't beat yourself up.

Hugs to you and Bif xxx

It's so easy to do things wrong with bunnies, We just have to learn from them. I've had a huge lesson this weekend and nearly lost one of mine. The best you can do as I said is to learn from it and try to alter things but don't be too hard one yourself. Bunnies will do what they want sometimes, especially hormonal ones.

Hun, please don't blame yourself! Accidents happen, about this time a year ago my male hamster escaped and ended up in with my female hamster. Syrian Hamsters are not sociable and thankfully Bronwyn didn't kill and eat him, but he was badly injured and had to have stitches and antibiotics. He could have been killed and I felt awful! Does that make me a bad mum? No, like everyone on here is saying on here it wasn't your fault! You can not be blamed for lying in, you only were in bed at 4am!
The fact you promptly saw to the injured bun and are blaming yourself shows that you are a GOOD mum!

Hope the buns are okay! xx

Awww it isnt your fault hun xxx Seriously if I got out of bed everytime I heard the bunnies making a noise I would be walking up and down the stair non stop :lol:

And I once went and had a shower leaving Buu in the kitchen and Beau in the living room, when I got back down she had got into the living room with Beau (still have no idea how she managed it :roll: ) Luckily they got on and were cuddling when I got back down but I felt bad for weeks as they could have easily had a big fight and I would have just assumed one of them was chucking toys around :roll: Please dont feel bad :D

And cuddles for you and Bif xxx

oops: - oh thank you all so much.i was just so over emotional as usual but bifs such a special little gal..shes ben through so much since she moved in with us..thins beyoned our control..oscar dying..the house geting floded and al the hoo ha that went with it..etc and then the other changes..2 kities and willow and oh yes bertie saving her life but taking amonth to bond cos she was a cow!!

shes let us stroke her seve ral times tonight i feel so blessed she let me too..i didnt put the cream on..or even bathe ehr neck as she was so tressed im leaving it till the morning...its been ceaned with hibiscrub etc and i will do it first thing..just didnt want to stress her out anymore..even told me mum not to come around either..
she was washing bertie earlier and he was snuggling under her tummy whilst she sat onher hainches having a wash..
the weird thingis she could have hid in so many nooks shehas for hiding in that even the kittens cant get into,..why did she not hide ..did she decide to fight willoww off her turf..and especially her man?

willow didnt escpae the rottie crate..she jumped out of and over those octaganol metal playpens for buns..its a metre high so she just must be very agile..gosh roll on her becoming 18 months old fully grown and like bertie!!

The cutest sight was when we got back and bif was put init th elounge under her beloved coffee table and the 2 kittens walked very softly up to her chirped and both sniffed her face and licked the top of her head and moved away..she seemed to enjoy that too..

becky says she cant have anymore oral metacam cos of her tummy probs..if shes in pain shes gotta come down for another shot..but she should have it in her sytem maybe until thursday being shes alittleish bun..shes not lost an ounce in weight but hasnt gained any either..well done allen and page food!!

poor willow is so quiet and subdued..shes not even asking for nose rubs like she so desperately does..when i put her inthe carrier to swop her cage over she snuggled into me as tight as bif did..i feel so awful for hem both but its in their nature right..

Ok earlier i saw bif rush up to the dog crate sit inthe litter tray to get higher up and attack willow through the bars..she hasnt done that since we first had willow so its the old hormones gotta be..rol onthursday.

lol ive had to put the pen panels togehter around the crate to stop bif from attacking and biting willow hrough the bars..now wilows trying to box her face through the bars and bif bites her face and paws..the litle minx

im stil worried like becky said the stress may take 24 hours to leave her body...inthe meantime if she gets scared or even more stressed she didnt think her heart would cope..:( but i reckon my mini pitbull of a bunny has other ideas..shes been told her prognosis isnt good to manytimes now..shes such a little fighter literally..
you know willow never touched bertie or he didnt touch her either..weird isnt it..so it is a doe versus doe problem?

i was advised not to get another buck as they fight so bad..omg this isnt bad enough yet then?

shes etan some hay..and shes eaten some greens but i didnt see her eat pelets but she must have for there was a few weent bif pos around the bowl..as if to say..see *****..mine!!

she wa svery happy to be home and this evening was under the coffee table on apet rug whilst bertie cooled himself down by sleeping ont he bare old marley tiles..with the fan on full..and ice water bottle..but hes been keeping an eye on her..making sure shes ok..he got jealous she was geting so many nosey and cheek rubs and head petting so he stuffed his face next to hers so i could stroke them both..bless him..he also does this to keep her calm to be stroked...berties the one good thing for her right now..
which is why i wanted another bun..if he went shed not make it through the night i assure you..shes been sc urrying around her end of the lounge like alittle mouse this evening adnw eve kept our distance until shes sat still..
shes not going to like ehr neckbeing bathed in salt water and smelly cream put on her but we wil do it as less s tressfulyl as possible for her..

thank you all for your kindness and support..it relly makes you feel lowdown and rotten no matter what the accidnet or bad experince is and how youwished you could change things but alsa we cant..and i am lucky it wasnt anyw orse.

i thank the vets for stayng behind 20 minutes after theyd shut for us too..i dontknow whatid have done..i couldnt get to the main hospital..its mile sand miles away..a good 25 minutes drive..cept i dont drive!! looks up animal ambulances!!

Luckily bif is having her pedicure when bertie has his and his lump checked thirsday when i leave willow there to be taken to the hospital for spaying..petra will check her over..
im stills o scared im going to get up tomorrow and shes died overnite from a heart attack or something from the stress...
becky said young frenchies can clear a five fot gate..um bertie needs doggy steps to get on and off the seteee properly!!
i feel better knowing wllos locked up to be honest..and so does bif..:shock:

Back