• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Magpies

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
Are magpies dangerous to rabbits. My mam spotted one in our garden chasing Buttonsup and down his run till he hid in his hutch nd then started trying to peck through the bars of Casper's run at him until we chased him away:?

I think you've answered your own question! If the bird was chasing and trying to peck the rabbit then yes it does pose a danger.

Hmm yeah it can't get to the rabbits in the run atleast but i just saw it fly back infront the run in time to chase it off but no i'm worried it will keep coming back now it knows rabbit are here:(

I'd say definately, We're absolutely swarming with magpies round here and they're a real pain! Mind you, We've had a hawk or such like eyeing up our bunsters recently! :eek: x

have seen a magpie trying to attack a sparrow that was stuck behind some netting and they do eat meat i think . have also had a bird of prey dive at our pair luckly they were in the run

Aww poor sparrow, i'm sure i read magpies eat baby rabbit but i'm not sure:? We get a few small birds but there no bother just come for straw and hay that gets on the grass for there nests but magpies are a pain. Luckily there's been no other prey birds but we don't let ours free range cos it's not a safe garden so there protected i the run:)

Magpies eat anything they can find. I once caught some attacking and trying to eat a baby squirrel. They also attacked a baby bird that was sitting on our lawn, and they ate several of my pond snails. They killed a stag beetle in our garden, and also many may beetles. I am sure they would try to hack out a bunny's eyes. :evil:

Ewww that's horrible. I think there beuatiful birds but if they come in my garden they'll get chased away. I found a 1/2 eaten baby bird on one of my hutches a few weeks ago still bald and i think now it sounds like it coul have been magpies, we blamd cats first:cry:

Ewww that's horrible. I think there beuatiful birds but if they come in my garden they'll get chased away. I found a 1/2 eaten baby bird on one of my hutches a few weeks ago still bald and i think now it sounds like it coul have been magpies, we blamd cats first:cry:

Could have been a squirrel, too. Or a woodpecker, as I just learnt in another thread.

We have a problem with Magpies and the rabbits as well. They try to pull fur off them for their nests. I watched one once creep up on one of my rabbits and peck fur from his bum! I shoo them off whenever they are in the garden. We have a robin who picks up loose fur for her nest, that's really cute. Our old buns used to chase birds, especially wood pidgeons out of the garden, it was really funny to watch!

My main concern is that they might injure the rabbits so I'd say yes they can be dangerous!

we've got a pair of magpies who have been hanging around our house for a week squaking, freaked both my cats out.

thankfully little baby bunny is indoors. I don't trust them, my mums guinea pig had one in her run and was chasing her.

Birds, cats, dogs, rats or anything else you can think of pose a danger to your rabbits.

Keep your rabbits safe.

As much as I like birds, magpies are nasty things and at this time of year will try and eat/kill anything.... we have some nesting in a tree at the back of my house, the buns are all in runs with lids and they've never tried to get to them, mind you with 4 cats and 2 dogs, it'd be a pretty stupid magpie!:lol:

There was 2 magpies in the garden today when the guinea pigs where out and even though the runs have lids and are secure they still keep trying to get them. They just kept coming in and out pecking and trying to attack my piggies until Jessie lunged at them and they flew away. Didn't stop them coming back and i had to bring them in cos Peatal was petrified running frantic:( It's hard transferring the pigs and buns in the run with magpies inthe garden to. Haven't seen one in over an hour since it tried attacking Casper and i swung at it with a brush:evil: and the bin men were looking aswell ust have thought i was crazy:oops:

Yeah they haven't been back in over an hour so maybe they've got the message to stay away from my animals and out my garden.

Back