• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lots of questions!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Sorry you lot but I'm a real worrier! If you could help me out with my new lot of questions I would be very grateful :)

Started cutting down the amount of milk Spudsy has been having today so hopefully she will be off her milk by next saturday which she will then (hopefully) be 8 weeks old.
Shes eating lots of hay (have just ordered sample pack of hays from the hay experts) plus about 20-25 pellets a day. Is this enough!?

And when I get the new hays should I slowly introduce each one or is this not so important with hay?

Noticed today that her wee was an odd reddy brown colour which worried me until I looked in one of my few books (i'm getting addicted to bunny books :lol: ) to discover that bunny wees vary from yellow-cream-brown!??!?!?

Squeaking!!!! Squeaking I read is something bunnies do when they are anxious well spudsy seems to do it when shes wandering about with her head to the floor foraging for food is this normal!? I say squeaking but it actually sounds like a bird tweeting!

And finally litter training! Her many poo's seem to be everywhere! She occassionally uses the litter box I put in for her but normally does them all over the place. Have just bought some cat wood litter (bio degradable stuff suitable for bunnies) to see if this makes a difference.

Ok thats it!
Thanks in advance
Suzanne x

:) Awww - she sounds adorable! I've never had a baby bunny, but I know they don't really do litter training at that age - if the wee goes in there, that's something to be thankful for (after sweeping up for 6 rabbits I've gone right off maltesers anyway :? :lol: )

I would imagine wood pellets are a bit of a funny texture for rabbits, but I know lots of people use them - I use megazorb which is available online - it's super absorbent but doesn't smell as nice as wood based litter, so I chuck a handful of shavings on too, just for the smell.

As she's getting most of her nourishment from milk at the mo, I guess she's OK on 20 pellets a day, but she will need a lot more without milk to eat. However don't give her tons in one go or she may gorge herself sick. I would break her feeds up into 4 a day, and let her eat 20 pellets a time - but increase gradually from what you are giving her. Then when she's grown you can just cut the middle 2 feeds out - I give my adult bunnies about 20 pellets each morning and night.

Not sure about introducing new hay - with any new food the danger is they won't eat it as it smells different, so then they will get gas from not eating - or conversely they will gobble up new food like veg, and not be able to digest it - so I guess the rule is introduce any new food a bit at a time over the space of 2 weeks.

Ahhh - she sounds so cute! :D

With the new hay, I'd probably try a little bit of the new one mixed in with her usual hay at first, just to be on the safe side.

Squeaking-wise, well my two are quite noisy, so it's not totally out of the ordinary! Inky growls when he's cross and Smokey squeals indignantly if she is surprised (usually when Inky sneaks up on her). I read somewhere that rabbits sometimes squeak when they're eating their soft pellets (I can never spell the correct word!).

Some rabbits are easier to litter train then others, so I shouldn't worry too much just yet, she seems to be doing really well.

ok will try and stop worrying now! shes had about 35 pellets so far today as she managed to rip the bag open and scoff a few extra little tyke.

there are some photos of her on rabbit chat elve of her she is adorable!!! :D

Back