• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Phantom Pregnancy

lynseybrown

Warren Scout
When i went to clean daisy out this morning i noticed loads of fur in her cage and when i picked her up her stomach is practically bald almost like ive shaved her. Shes also built what looks like a nest out of her fur straw and hay in the corner. She currently lives on her own and im getting her spayed in a couple of weeks but what i would like to know is, is that she seems really miserable today shes eating and pooing but usually shes runs to the door of her cage when im near her and today she just doesnt want to know is there anything i can do to cheer her up???
Also how long will this false pregnancy last and is it still ok for me to get her spayed in a couple of weeks???
Any help would be great as i hate seeing her like this and usually shes such a happy bunny.:(

Aww - don't worry, she's not miserable - she's broody :) My 5 girls aren't spayed and they occasionally take turns making nests. They're such works of art too - I can tell they feel very proud of them, and they don't want to leave them as they are protecting their imaginary babies from you - I think it's quite sweet. My Zinniea is particulary motherly out of the group of 4, and she sits on her nest like a bird hatching eggs - looking very proud and protective. She soon forgets all about it though and runs out to play with her sisters, although I did give her veg on her nest last time as she was reluctant to leave her nest and her sisters weren't about to leave her a piece! :)

I always leave their nests for a week, by which time they've lost interest. If you destroy it too soon they'll just get distressed making another one straight away, so leave it.

I think all my girls except Petunia made one this spring, but that's weeks ago - they haven't done any since but they'll probably do another one in late summer, judging by last year. It's nothing to worry about :)

hi, rabbits are induced ovulators, meaning that they have to be mated to ovulate (they only release eggs after mating). So in terms of having her spayed, there is no reason why she cant be spayed. Normally vets would not spay a cat or dog that is in season or just finished/about to start a season as they uterus is more fryable (sp) (meaning that the placement of suture material around the stump of the uterus wont hold quite so well and the uterus is more prone to damage and will take longer to heal. Also, there may be excessive bleeding from the uterus which is obviously not good!). However, as i said, rabbits are induced ovulators so do not have the problem with being in season, unless there is the possibility of being mated (i assume she has not had a chance to be mated?). Hope this helps!

Back