• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tango might have EC

catherine

Warren Scout
Jane you were right!
I finally got Tango admitted for x-rays and blood tests (all were clear) and they now wonder whether he's got EC. She's given him some pancur which me and bf are giving together. Is there anything else I should do/ be doing? I'm really worried about the neurological affects!

You need to make sure he has a FULL 28 DAY course of Panacur. Some Vets are only prescribing a 9 day course which is not enough if active EC is suspected.
Has Tango exhibited any neurological symptoms?

Janex

He's only on a 9 day course but I'm going back on Friday so I'll ask. He's not exibiting any neurological symptoms they just think it's affecting his bladder because he wasn't weeing properly it was just trickling out. I've seen him do some proper wees now though.

He's only on a 9 day course but I'm going back on Friday so I'll ask. He's not exibiting any neurological symptoms they just think it's affecting his bladder because he wasn't weeing properly it was just trickling out. I've seen him do some proper wees now though.

Do INSIST on a 28 day course at a dose of 20mg/kg. The leaky bladder may be neurological in origin, ie the nerves within the CNS that control the bladder are not functioning properly.

Janex

It absolutely has to be a 28 day course in my view. My 2 bunnies didn't have head tilts etc, but the 9 day course wasn't good enough (and in fact they have even needed longer than the 28 days).

Do INSIST on a 28 day course at a dose of 20mg/kg. The leaky bladder may be neurological in origin, ie the nerves within the CNS that control the bladder are not functioning properly.

Janex

That's what the vet said to me. She thought it could be neurological in origin.

Another thing... He's on the Pancur paste. Has anyone got any less stressful way to give him it other than trapping him in a towel and practically forcing it in his mouth (it's stressful for both me and him)

Another thing... He's on the Pancur paste. Has anyone got any less stressful way to give him it other than trapping him in a towel and practically forcing it in his mouth (it's stressful for both me and him)

Gawd the experiments we've carried out trying to get panacur into bunnies :roll: Can you not hold him and just hold his mouth open whilst someone else sqeeze the paste in? Otherwise, give it him on a treat? :? X

we were thinking smearing banana on the end he goes mad for just the smell. I've being trying to train him that he gets a treat after we've given it.

Back