PDA

View Full Version : Aduki beans/plants

Isabel
01-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know if they are ok for bunnies? Or even humans?
I used my sprouter but then forgot to take them out and now I have lovely aduki plants :rolleyes: I don't want to waist them though.

BinkyBun
01-06-2007, 05:01 PM
I don't know about rabbits but Aduki beans are okay for humans....taste horrible tho..:D

Beebop
01-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Aduki beans are lovely for us human ( i like 'em anyway) but beans are a no no for bunnies as they are gaseous. Not sure about the plant though....:lol: You could eat it in a salad I guess :lol:

buddabun
01-06-2007, 07:05 PM
ooooh what's a sprouter?! sounds exciting!!!

Black Rabbit
01-06-2007, 08:11 PM
As this Adzuki bean is a legume, I would not feed it to rabbits. Legumes like beans, pea or lentils are not good for rabbits.

Isabel
01-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks for everyones advice :D
Budabun, a sprouter is a plastic thing with different levels in and the bottoms of each level has holes in like a steamer. you sprinkly seeds on (like aduki) then poor water over and in a couple of days you have sprouted seeds. Dr Gillian said its good for you :D

Rachel, Susy and Cookie
01-06-2007, 09:15 PM
I grow alfalfa sprouts to eat in salads in the winter when we can't garden. I just grow them in jar with a cloth rubber band-ed on top--I soak the seeds overnight and then dump out the water through the cloth and rinse them a couple times a day for 3 to 7 days until they are an inch or so long. For extra vitamin C, set them in the sun for a bit before eating. They are to be grown in a dark place and stored in the refrigerator if you don't eat them all right away. You can grow all kinds of seeds this way--carrot seeds might make great sprouts to feed the bunnies!:bunny:

Animal Quackers
12-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I am sprouting some adzuki beans right now, too (my pet birds like them!), and was actually going to ask the same question.

I understand that the beans themselves are a no-no, but do you all really think the SPROUTS are, too?

Thanks!

Michelle

Isabel
12-08-2007, 04:03 PM
They are fine to eat when sproated. Mine had turned into acual plants though.

Animal Quackers
12-08-2007, 05:54 PM
Thank you for the kind reply Isabel! I will let Mitzy and Spice try then once they are sprouted! :D