• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies moving outside...

lil_sar

Warren Scout
:cry: Unfortunately, the bunnies are well on their way to destroying the spare bedroom in our new house so o/h has suggested that they move outside.
He would like to have them built an insulated shed with run or some sort of enclosure or hutch. Has anyone got any ideas that they can forward to me or piccies! I thought about having a playhouse.
Can't stand the thought of them being outside, especially when its raining or cold:(

this is exactly our situation - at least they have company! our living room has been destroyed too, have put foot down though and said they are coming back in in the evenings lol

My lot live in a playhouse with a run attached. It worked out cheaper then a hutch and if you use aviary panels, you can make a run quite easily and it's a bit cheaper then a ready-made one.

When it's really cold I give my two a heatpad. As for rain, my two seem to like it! I'm the one that's doing nips ups while they run round in it (I do dry them off though, they hate it!).

They are defo coming in the lounge at night;) . The situation wasn't so bad when I only had Dillon, he was an incredibly tidy rabbit but since Tinker came along just over a month ago there's just mess and poo everywhere. Litter training has gone out the window and there's spots of wee on the carpet which is not nice.
So its an outdoor adventure here we come?

I'd love to see piccies of members set ups or if anyone has seen a good one somewhere let me know:)

the thread keeps saying page cannot be displayed but I will have a search around the site and see what I can find:)

Here is our Shed/Run.

Shed on its own.

0603030028.jpg

and now painted with run attached.

2006_0808002.jpg

I also insulated the roof like this.
2006_0909020.jpg

although not sure how much benefit it really is.....

Just a few general points here. A well-built shed ie no gaps and rain-proof will be perfectly warm enough for rabbits in the winter and dependent on location should be cool enough in the summer. Bringing rabbits into the house in the evening can be fairly negative for the rabbit. Think about it...20 degrees in the lounge and at the end of the evening 10 degrees outside. Our Nellie started sneezing quite regularly and the vet advised that we didn't keep changing their temperature so much. I'm not trying to be critical towards anyone here, just sharing my knowledge and experience :D .

Neil

Back