• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baytril for chest infection in GP? URGENT update

willowflower27

Mama Doe
ok as a few of you know a couple of weeks back gideon my guinea pig developed a chest infection after choking on some food he was prescribed baytril at the time and had oxygen therapy he's now ill again and as you can imagine i'm worried sick.
thing is vet wants to prescribe baytril again will it work thiis time or should another anti biotic be used normally i trust my vet completely but i'm not sure on this :?
help please and pray for my little man

Last edited:
I would be inclined to use a different antibiotic such as Marbocyl. Is your vet certain its a chest infection? What are his symptoms?

breathing from his tummy and it's coming in big gasps really rattley in his chest vet is farily sure that it's a chest infection

If he is gasping has the vet checked him out for heart problems? The rattling could be fluid on his chest. I would definatly suggest the vet checks his heart when you take him back. It may well be a really bad chest infection but the gasping is often a sign of a heart condition. If he was my pig I would get my vet to xray him whilst conscious to see what shows up.

ok i'll do that the vet has actually kept him in just now to run tests i'll ask if an x-ray is one of those tests i was wondering about his heart as his breathing seems worse whenever he's had a scare or exerted himself by running around i'llknow more tonight when i go to collect him but thanks for the advice will bring the topic up with my vet

One of my pigs has a chronic catarrh problem, which is kept under control with occasional Bisolvin.

Good luck. :)

Have you got the book 'Piggie Potions'? In there they recommend 0.4ml Sudafed morning and night the first day and then daily after that. I used to do this with my elderly guinea pigs and it really helps although you need antibiotics to clear the infection.

Keep him warm and put a dab of Vicks on his nose. If he seems reluctant to eat, 0.5ml of Metatone daily will perk him up. You can get it in Boots, it's a tonic but it's excellent for guinea pigs.

well i have him home but there's good and bad news
ok good news first it is definitely a chest infection which can be treated with septrin a 2 week course
bad news is he had fluid on the lungs which needed to be drained and all the stress has put a strain on his heart the vet isn't sure if the heart problem is just a side effect of the infection and stress or if it's more serious i've to ake him back on monday (or sooner if he gets worse) to check his heart hopefully it's only because of the stress if it is something worse i'm not sure what to do vet said we will discuss that at the time hopefully he'll start to improve with the anti biotics

well i have him home but there's good and bad news
ok good news first it is definitely a chest infection which can be treated with septrin a 2 week course
bad news is he had fluid on the lungs which needed to be drained and all the stress has put a strain on his heart the vet isn't sure if the heart problem is just a side effect of the infection and stress or if it's more serious i've to ake him back on monday (or sooner if he gets worse) to check his heart hopefully it's only because of the stress if it is something worse i'm not sure what to do vet said we will discuss that at the time hopefully he'll start to improve with the anti biotics

Did the Vet give him a shot of diuretic to clear the fluid from his lungs?
It would really help him.

Janex

Yes I was just going to say the same as Jane - Frusimide can be a lifesaver for piggies with heart trouble - it practically brings them back from the dead so I've heard. Couldn't tell you the dosage though - hope he's OK soon :shock:

Poor piggie - sounds like my Florence had a lucky escape then as the same thing happened to her last week - She was rattling like I couldn't believe so I took her to the vet and she said her heart sounded fine and thought she'd breathed in some food and that it would get sneezed up in a few days when softened - which thankfully it must have done as she was better on day 3, with no antibiotics.

well things have improved hugely over the day he's popcorning and wheeking eating and pooping so everything looks promising.
vet actually put a chest drain in as the fluid needed removed asap and he was given a diuretic to prevent more build up so hopefully his heart will be fine once the stress of the few days is over i hope thats the case anyway as heart problems would be terrible seeing as he's already been through the wars

yeah but it's taken a while to find him and it's not the one closest to me but have to say martin is fantastic keeps me informed as well which is good

Back