• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We rescued a baby wild bird, pics

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
My husband found a baby bird about a month ago, on the side of a road. Well he saw 2 baby birds and left them initially, hw went back to the spot a few hours later and 1 bird had been squashed:( , so he brought the other home.

I called the RSPCA who said they couldn't take it, we emailed them pics and they thought it might be a sparrow or a finch. Anyway they told us what to feed it and just to keep it warm.

Here it is when it first came:
DSC00361.jpg

It still had some baby fluff on it so it can't have been very old.

It settled in quite well, enjoyed its food, like every 1-2 hours!!
DSC00365.jpg

DSC00364.jpg

We had it in a ltter tray in the living room cos we didn't have a bird cage.
DSC00363.jpg

It slowly started learning to fly and would quite happily sit on the curtain pole, cheeping away:lol:

It started to get quite tame though and would fly over to mine or my sons head, especially if it was hungry!!:lol: :lol:

Jacob and bird
DSC00367.jpg

Hubby and bird
DSC00360.jpg

It did really well and we released it into our garden about 2 weeks ago. So its a happy ending for bird, cos I'd read that handreared birds don't always do to well.

Nicola

Wow that's fantastic! Well done! :thumb: You did the right thing initially leaving them be, as the parents might have been nearby and that gives them their best chance. However, it's obvious that this one needed your help, so good for you taking on such a big job!

The bird is a Greenfinch, by the way. :D

AMETHYST

awww thats lovely, well done.
I tried to save a baby bird about two years ago. I was house sitting for my sister and I kept hearing a cheap in the chimney. I thought it was just echoeing down but it went on for a long time. When I investigated there was a baby bird behind the fire :shock: no feathers or anything so it must have only been a day or maybe hours old. We mananaged to get it out and I kept it wrapped in a towell against my chest unfortunatly it died but atleast it was warm and had a full belly and not cold and alone in the chimney.

aww congrats - what a nice happy ending. I found a baby bird on my way to school when i was about 12 once and, as it was still there on the way home, I took it in. It was dead cute, attempting to fly around my bedroom although it would just jump and glide down to the floor. I didn't know what to feed it and thought of egg yolk (as they survive on that in an egg!!)... but Granny thought milk. So she got a little syringe filled with milk and managed to flood its lungs with the stuff and it died!

I cried for days, gave it a little funeral and everything I was so upset that we'd killed this tiny thing.. but at least yours had a happy ending lol

Well done to you :D :D ... I rescused a bird a few weeks ago his leg was broken though :( I took him to a wildlife rescue and they said he had a good chance of making a full recovery.

Awww well done :)

Like Buddabun, I found an injured bird, I was about 7 and it was in my garden. Me and my Dad took in in the house and fed it and looked after it for a bit, we then put it in the tree in our garden, he was just about to fly away when next doors cat jumped up the tree and got it, then dragged it all through our neighbours house :cry: :?

Wow you did a great job!!!! :thumb: Do you still see him from time to time?

Esther x

I keep thinking I've seen it, but I can't be that sure cos there's loads of small birds in our garden. We've put up a wild bird feeder in the garden and filled it with small wild bird seed to attact them.

Nicola

Back