• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wild baby more advice please!

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Hello!

Spudsy my remaining wild bunny seems to be doing ok. I have started her on her pellets which she has had for a couple of days. Hope to start weaning her off her precious milk soon. Only given her about 30 pellets a day, have no idea how much is too many really worried about the whole thing...

Didn't give her any this morning as I felt that she was just digging out the pellets and not really touching the hay so have been mean and just given her hay.

She is also getting more adventurous, regularly gets on our sideboard which she can reach from the stairs but is now climbingup to the bay window which she gets on to from the settee plus is gnawing our skirting boards!!

Is it too early for her to have something to chew on? If so what would you recommend?

I'm also wondering what other little activities I could give for her at the moment obviously shes so little still and don't want to tempt fate by buying lots of things for her I was looking at runs the evening before Radish died.

Any advice much appreciated!
Suzanne x

If she has lots of hay to eat, she won't need many pellets. I tend to use pellets with my two older rabbits as a safeguard to make sure they have all the vitamins,minerals and protein they need.

Chewing wise, natural chew sticks, such as willow, apple, pear are pretty good and my lot seem to really like them. You can get bundles of willow sticks in most large petshops, although I always give tmen a good wash and rinse before my lot play with them. The Hay Experts and West Wales Willows do really good chew sticks too (http://thehayexperts.com/ and http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/products.asp).

My lot love playing with cardboard boxes, particularly if they are strong enough for them to sit on. They love their 'fiddlesticks' tunnel too. Another really cheap toy is a toilet roll stuffed with hay and a few pellets or safe treats, they spend hours trying to chew through to get them.

Good luck!

Back