• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mucky Chins

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I was looking through the photo section and Pringle said
"Pringles chin.. another trip to vets..teeth again" and showed a picture of his chin..

CHarlie has this sort of semi-matted fur under his chin and I was wondering if it is a problem?! He has had no dental problems (as with Jack) and I assumed it was just glands and, since he 'boxes' me if I go near his chin/chest, I haven't been able to clean it.

Am I just overreacting - he seems fine, I have not noticed anything but the post worried me a bit!

Thanks
Bb

Honestly I would say it was teeth problems, having two teethy bunnies myself. It may be worth getting a teeth check just in case :D

Hi,

I would also get his teeth checked again. The only time my buns had wet chins was when their teeth were playing up.

If its a buck its probably NOT teeth problems, hes probably chinning his water bottle. Alot of my bucks do this and end up with filthy wet chins. :roll:

Theres no harm in getting his teeth checked, but if its just wet and hes not dribbling then I wouldn't worry.

Oh BTW, quick way to check for molar spurs, feel along their jaw line, if you can feel lumps they've probably got spurs - obviously only works for the bigger spurs.

If its a buck its probably NOT teeth problems, hes probably chinning his water bottle. Alot of my bucks do this and end up with filthy wet chins. :roll:

Theres no harm in getting his teeth checked, but if its just wet and hes not dribbling then I wouldn't worry.

Oh BTW, quick way to check for molar spurs, feel along their jaw line, if you can feel lumps they've probably got spurs - obviously only works for the bigger spurs.

No meaning to be contrary :oops: , but none of my bucks get matts from their water bottle. I would seriously advise getting vet to have a look :D

No meaning to be contrary :oops: , but none of my bucks get matts from their water bottle. I would seriously advise getting vet to have a look :D

I didn't say not to get the vet to check, its always best but there does seem to be a slight habit on this forum of panicing about teeth -I just wanted to point out that it can be other things! I've kept rabbits since I was 8 years old, and my first rabbit did have molar problems, so I know there is a big difference between a dribbly rabbit and a buck with a wet chin.

Your bucks are probably neutered though right? Which means they don't scent as much, I'm a breeder so none of my bucks are done so they pretty much all chin their water bottles - its a common problem round the show world trying to get them not to do it :roll:

I didn't say not to get the vet to check, its always best but there does seem to be a slight habit on this forum of panicing about teeth -I just wanted to point out that it can be other things! I've kept rabbits since I was 8 years old, and my first rabbit did have molar problems, so I know there is a big difference between a dribbly rabbit and a buck with a wet chin.

Your bucks are probably neutered though right? Which means they don't scent as much, I'm a breeder so none of my bucks are done so they pretty much all chin their water bottles - its a common problem round the show world trying to get them not to do it :roll:

That's because there is an awfull lot of buns with teeth problems. People wouldn't panic unless there was good cause too. Everytime I've suspected one of mine to have teeth problems, I've been right.

Just because you've been keeping rabs since you were eight doesn't automatically mean you can diagnose problems from a post, nor do I believe I can. I am simply suggesting she seeks vet help rather than ignore a problem that can be sorted out sooner rather than later.

That's because there is an awfull lot of buns with teeth problems. People wouldn't panic unless there was good cause too. Everytime I've suspected one of mine to have teeth problems, I've been right.

Just because you've been keeping rabs since you were eight doesn't automatically mean you can diagnose problems from a post, nor do I believe I can. I am simply suggesting she seeks vet help rather than ignore a problem that can be sorted out sooner rather than later.

I wasn't suggesting that I can, I was merely pointing out, that while teeth problems are a possibility (and if you look at my first post I did suggest a vet check to be sure) it could be something as simple as a buck chinning the waterbottle. I just wanted to give another suggestion as what the problem could be - particulary as buddabun said they haven't had any previous dental problems.

I think it was the way you typed "NOT (in big cap letters) teeth problems" made me think you were implying that there couldn't be a chance of teeth problems.

No worrries, glad it's sorted :D

I worry about Jens chin sometimes! Keep trying to show mum but with all her layers of flubber you just cant get near :lol: .... but her teeth have been looked at. Is it worth another look d'you think? Xx

I dont think anyone on this Forum 'panics' unnecessarily :? People are very aware of the importance of addressing any health issue sooner rather than later.
So folks dont be put off asking advice, the majority of us will NOT think you are going into panic mode ;)

Janex

I woud like to point out that its my does that chin things more so than my boys so I would go to the vets just to be on the safe side hun :D

Good luck :)

I think everyone should be aware of teeth problems in bunsters- every single rabbit I have had has had them...and not through my poor care I'd like to add as all were adults when I got them.....even Audrey and Rowan did, who were rexes...which is a breed who don't typically have teeth problems.

I remember when I brought Belle home she refused to eat pellets, but would eat soft stuff like oats or mix...when we went to the vets she had huge spurs on her teeth- she must have been in pain for ages! :evil:

I think everyone should be aware of teeth problems in bunsters- every single rabbit I have had has had them...and not through my poor care I'd like to add as all were adults when I got them.....even Audrey and Rowan did, who were rexes...which is a breed who don't typically have teeth problems.

Thats very unfortunate, what bad luck :( I wouldn't like to count how many rabbits I've owned over the last 13 years but touch wood it was only my first rabbit Thumper (I know, how original! :lol: ) thats had tooth problems - and I've kept Nethies and Lops which are the 2 varieties most prone to tooth issues.

That was only 6 so not that many really- one mini lop, one lion head cross lop (both with maloclussion of their front teeth and probs with molars too), one cross breed dutch, one dwarf lop and two rexes.

How many of your bunns have you kept over the years? Cos some may have developed problems after they left you?

Obviously there are a lot of healthy bunns out there though!

Last edited:
yikes, I've sparked a bit of a debate here - SORRY!!!

Both my buns are neutered and I've not noticed him dribbling or showing any other signs of having trouble. I just assumed it was his scent gland getting mucky.

I will go and have a feel now, I hope he's ok as he's a VERY scared boy when it ocmes to vets.

Will check back later... thanks everyone

ok his chins isn't actually WET, it's just an isolated spot of straggly fur right under the chin that's sort of crispy like he's got something on it and it's dried...

So I reckon he's jsut been chinning stuff. There's no dribble, I can't feel anything along his jaw and he's eating ok (just fed him a couple of pellets) so I reckon he's ok... Will keep a close eye on him though, especially as we're moving... thanks for all your help!

Back