• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

emergency - tomato leaves

just been on the phone to the emergency vet. sure they think im paranoid or abusing the bunnies or something with the amount of calls i end up making to them

idiot gail was supposed to be keeping an eye on gus in the garden while i hoovered. instead, she was on the computer. he's got in the greenhouse through the rip in the plastic - for how long, she reckons 5 minutes.

ive checked the plants for damage and theres a couple of tiny leaves missing by my reckoning but i know tomato leaves are toxic to bunnies. the vet says to keep an eye on him, as he's probably not eaten much. he thnks it would cause upset stomach and weakness.

all the tomatoe plants have gone in the bin, im not talking to gail either as shes just thick

any advice for me please. am trying not to panic

Awww Bless You!!! Im sure little Gus will be alright Hun, I recon you should make Gail buy him loooadsa cool toys to make up for it though ;) Xx

Gus just had a sticky bum overnight thankfully and was slighty grumpy. he obviously didnt eat enough to make him really ill which is what the vet was hoping for. he was fine this morning and eating everything i offered him plus he was very perky.

im grumpy now too as i was up every hour checking on him and Gail is in the doghouse. she now has to donate to my real greenhouse fund so i can grow tomatoes without worrying about bunny traumas :lol:

tomato leaves are poisonous because they are related to deadly nighshade. They contain solaine (also found in potato leaves and especially green potatoes) which leads to overstimulation of nerve endings (adrenaline surge, convulsions, muscle relaxation (loss of baldder etc control), excess salivation and so on. It usually happens as soon as the food starts to be digested so your bun should be fine.

Did you know that when people smoke, the nicotine (tobacco is also a nighshade plant) has a mild but similar effect on our bodies. The adrenaline surge causes increased awareness but combined with muscle relatation. The effect is much less when smoked and if you ate a half pack of cigarettes, you would die (smoking bunny owners be ware).

PS. Don't smoke tomato or potato leaves, goodness knows what could happen.

yes, when i rang the vets immediately, he said that a couple of small leaves would probably just cause an upset stomach. he also said the effects would be immediate, and to watch for laboured breathing, limpness and diahrrea (sp??)

thankfully he just had a bit of a dicky tummy and i could only find slight damage to the back of one plant. he is fine now :D :D

ive thrown my plants away to be on the safe side as i obviously cant trust gail - im gutted though as one was finally starting to flower bah humbug. still rather be on the safe side.

am buying a proper greenhouse which will also have a fence round it for nesxt year :D

Back