• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

shocked bunny

zoey-blogs

Warren Scout
well oscar my eldest escaped tday and managed to find a wire to chew on, only he wasnt aware that it cud hurt him well it has and the side of his face got syringed and the wire is no more.....i couldnt believe it happend to my bunny, iv sat and cried n cried as i feel so irresponsible for him escaping......iv realise its my fault so please leave the forts in your head tmy onl concern is oscars now.......hes eating,pooing and everything fine only he drnt go out his cage, as for his face i trimmed the syringed fur off he seems fine in himself just a lil quieter than usual...........

i bought him sum new toys....and gave him some veggies...any advice or anything....has any1 else ever had this accident or am i the only 1 stupid enough

Last edited:
Oh dear. Poor bun, hopefully he isn't hurt or anything. I would take him to the vets just to get checked over and make sure he isn't burned anywhere. Electricity has to get back to ground so it might have burnt his feet if it travelled through him. I think you were probably very lucky that he just got singed.

Poor little guy.

What treatment did the vet give as I'm not sure what you mean by syringed his face....has he got a burn or something?

sorry folks i put syringed instead of singed......omg blonde moment........bf's taken him to the vets and the vet said hes fine no other burns and just to keep an eye on him.....cant believe myself sometimes...:roll:

My thoughts are with you. I've been lucky and not had this happen to me, but there must be something magnetic about wires. When Flynn was younger he would just head for the cabling all the time. We got used to switching off the sockets which was just as well as he got under the Christmas tree and bit through the light cable. Had they been on, it may not have been a happy christmas for him. Thankfully, he seems to have learn't with age and if he's running free between the dining room ( which has been bunny proofed ) and the lounge ( which is not) we only have to say 'no Flynn' in a firm voice and he stops in his tracks. I wouldn't trust him unattended mind. Don't beat yourself up about it, it can happen so quickly. The important thing is hopefully he's lived to learn. My guess is that it happens more often than you think. I hope Oscar is back to his bouncy self soon.

yeh hes learnt his lesson....doesnt leave the bedroom now managed to get some pics of him ya can see wer iv had to trim his face :( poor oscar, altho i think hes milkin it for the attention as hes been getting loads lol

his poor face
Image021.jpg

here he is enjoying his new willow ball
Image022.jpg

sorry bout the quality fone cameras arnt very good

This has happened to me before. I know exactly how you are feeling. My bun blew all the lights in the house, it tripped and we were left in darkness. With my bunny I dont think he actually hurt himself. The bang was after he ran off but his mouth was all black. I shocked him more by my reaction. It is awful to go through but does happen. I thought my downstairs was bunny proofed but obviously not. I am extra careful now.
Tracy

i bought him sum new toys....and gave him some veggies...any advice or anything....has any1 else ever had this accident or am i the only 1 stupid enough

I think most of us will have to hold our hands up to bunny chewed wire, from personal experience I can say you are not the only one stupid enough!!:lol: I have just been lucky that my buns have not found the wires when they were live; I have had to replace two phone chargers and it took me a while to work out why the cd player only worked intermittently :oops: Half chewed wiring!! :roll:

So glad Oscar seems to be ok, fingers crossed he'll avoid wires from now on - somehow I'm not convinced tho!!:rolleyes: :lol:

Hi ,please don't blame yourself. Bunny's will get anywhere and everywhere and its only when something like that happens that you realise the precautions you have in place are not enough. SHort having absolutly no wires in the house its difficult to prevent this happening. Barney has chewed through the TV wire, luckily he wasn't hurt but if you saw what an obstacle course I made it you would be shocked that he's managed to get behind. Hope your bunny feels better and more confident soon.

Back