• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clover - here we go again :(

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Went to vets yesterday with a guinea pig, and spoke to him once again about the bunnies (we talk about every 2 weeks now, and he tells me what to do for the following 2 weeks). I told him that Dusty is doing really well with a higher dose of Metacam - seems to have suddenly produced lots more poo. So, he suggested that I did the same with Clover. Clover was on sporadic doses of Panacur (she has had way over 28 days now - but she goes downhill really quickly, and perks up on the Panacur), and I would have been due to give her some Panacur this morning.

Well, this evening.... she won't eat and there's no poo. :cry: I've dosed her on metoclopramide and prepulsid, and rubbed her tummy, so now it's the waiting game... She normally perks up really well on metacam, but I don't feel that I can give her anymore due to her having some this morning. :cry:

I think there is something going on with this Panacur.:?
Could the gut statis have something to do with being on a drug for a long time and them coming off it?

I think Fionabun had a problem with panacur:?

But she actually improves when she's on it, it's when she isn't that she goes downhill.

metacam can cause problems with and effect gut motility. i think you need to go easy on how much you give your bunny and ask a vet's advice before giving her more.

But she actually improves when she's on it, it's when she isn't that she goes downhill.

I'm having a day where I'm not on the ball, please excuse me.

What I'm trying to say is, maby she is going through withdrawal, and one of the symptoms is statis. I'm really sure this is what Fionabun was telling me:D

Last edited:
metacam can cause problems with and effect gut motility. i think you need to go easy on how much you give your bunny and ask a vet's advice before giving her more.

If your bunny is on metacam long term you have to use zanatac (sp:oops: ) to prevent ulcers.
But if your bun needs metacam say for arthritis then your bun needs it. Pain can cause the gut to slow down and cause statis, so you would need the metacam to prevent statis.

I don't know what to think anymore. :( Latest is that Clover is eating like she is half starved, but no poo yet...

Think I might have seen one slightly odd shaped small poo.... I NEED POOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :shock:

Well me and the husband were on poo watch till midnight, when about 6 teeny tiny ones had arrived, and she had perked right up, so we went to bed. She seems absolutely fine now. Till the next time!!! :roll: I'm starting to think my bunnies have 9 lives... probably used up at least 6 each so far.

Hi Sarah. Sorry to have missed this. How is Clover doing now? Poor wee thing and you, you have all been through so much

You know from the info we have exchanged that I too experienced problems with my buns coming off Panacur, or so I believe anyway. My note keeping was poor so I can't see the exact pattern for all of them, but this is what I suspect. Its hard to know whether it is a 'withdrawal' from the drug or whether the parasite has not been killed and flares up in the absence of the drug when they stop getting it. I think the second one is possibly the case, again with no evidence. I am shocked at how little is known about this dreadful condition.

Really hope things improve.

Fiona x

Thanks for this. :) The pattern I've had with the Panacur started off at them going downhill about 2 weeks after finishing the Panacur, then it moved to about a week, then 5 days, and now Clover goes downhill about 48 hours after finishing it. :shock: Dusty was similar, but has now finished her Panacur without these relapses (although she isn't out of the woods - still has to have Metacam, so there is obviously some nasty inflammation going on). When Dusty doesn't have Metacam, her poos are small and infrequent, and her tummy bloated.

What I don't know with Clover this time is whether not giving her the Panacur at her 'danger' 48 hour time caused the relapse, or the higher dose of Metacam. I suspect it was the lack of Panacur, as it would fit with what has gone on so far, but I can't be sure.

I agree - it is absolutely shocking how little is known about E. Cuniculi. :(

Back