• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What vacuum cleaner for hay/droppings?

sarahmarshadlam

Warren Scout
Hello,

Since having Tinker my two vacuum cleaners have both had many problems before dying completely. I want to buy a new one but wondered what vacuum cleaners are REALLY good on picking up hay and rabbit droppings? The ones I've had have kept getting blocked with hay.

Many thanks for any suggestions,
Best wishes, Sarah xxx:wave:

Thats a very good question, I think I've broke my vacume clearner...and my washing machine, the repair man found loads of hay wrapped around the drum thingy :oops: :lol:

I've had my 2 indoors quite a lot recently due to illness. Bought a really good one that wasn't too expensive. Will find a link and get back to you.

Tried and broken both a Dyson and a Vax (designed by a man who never vaccumed and never had pets...).

Now on a Miele and 100% impressed. Okay, so it is only day four...:lol:

HI

Many thanks for your resposes, I appreciate it. And of course, hay and fur on all clothes (hence trouble with washing machines)!! But the little fur-babies are definitely worth it:p

my vax is 20 years old and still going strong despite having a cord held together with tape and a nibbled hose :shock: :D don't know what i'm going to do if it ever breaks :lol:

Henry gets the thumbs up from me as well :thumb:

My Henry cost about £80 new, and has lasted for years. I use him with bag in (unlike bunnybasics).

Henry will stuck up anything (including your carpets if they're not stuck down well enough :shock: )

I use an upright Dyson Animal - I use the hose bit to hoover the hay and poo, then go over the whole floor with the normal bit :D

I bought a Sebo in January on the recommendation of the shop after saying I had pets and it has transformed my life! It is truly wonderful, it picks up hay and straw :shock: :shock: as well as poo! :lol: It has two differentn fittings, one with a very long hose so if you are doing your stairs you don't have to carry the main cleaner along with you. I would swear by it but I have to confess that it was not cheap. :roll:

Found it at last! http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrolux-...654?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1180539643&sr=1-138

This was picking up huge pieces of hay yesterday with no trouble whatsoever. We were so impressed we bought one for upstairs and one for downstairs! :)

Sarah, I don't see how it can work as I have a very similar model like yours. As it pick up the long hay, it jams at the joint of the rectangular part that touch the floor.

The hay is too long for it to turn that bend corner and suck in to the cylinder tube.

The 2nd problem is the hay is too long to suck into the entrance of the cylinder.

For those who said your one works, please post photos of the unit

I love my Henry but its useless with my hay. It appears to suck up fine and then the suction appears to die. I then unscrew the hose and find all the hay is collected at the entrance of the bag and not gone into it.

that's exactly what happen to my vaccum cleaner. To this date, I can't find a vaccum cleaner that can suck up hay without jamming at the "neck" or the entry belly.

So if the hay is say, 6 in or longer, haven't find a vaccum cleaner that works. If the hay is tiny, any vaccum cleaner can do it.

I cant believe you're all using vacuum cleaners for hay!!!

Just get a broom to sweep up the bigger pieces and then vacuum.

Sarah, I don't see how it can work as I have a very similar model like yours. As it pick up the long hay, it jams at the joint of the rectangular part that touch the floor.

The hay is too long for it to turn that bend corner and suck in to the cylinder tube.

The 2nd problem is the hay is too long to suck into the entrance of the cylinder.

For those who said your one works, please post photos of the unit

Erm... well I can only tell you that it does! :lol: Seriously - I couldn't believe how well it works. Has not got jammed at all so far. :)

Back