• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I feel its the end of a massive era

Leanne

Wise Old Thumper
Lovage died last week and initially I thought I would def be getting another old bun to live with Vinnie, but he seems really happy on his own. He is nearly 12 now and I honestly didn't think he would come through last summer let alone another winter! Anyway, his arthritis plays him up but apart from that and his kidneys slowly on their way out he is in great shape and condition.
For the first time ever im actually in a dilemma as to whether to get him a new partner. He has had 5 already and always gets on well with them and he and Lovage absolutely doted on each other. But the fact that I have now brought him indoors (with the back door open from 7 am until 9 at night so he can still be free range in the garden) and he is really chilled about it all and seems to love being in and out of his own accord has made me think he doesn't actually need another wife. He truly doesn't seem bothered which im surprised about! He will have company most weeks in the form of boarding bunnies (they will be in their run whilst he has free reign of the garden). Half of me thinks that he doesn't need another wifey but the other half is thinking that of course he does!!! Arrgggghhhhhh! I wish he could speak!
If I don't get another bun, when Vinnie goes I won't get anymore until ive left uni as if im honest I could do with less animals as I really need some time to study!!! But ive always had rabbits and it doesn't feel right.
I really miss Lovage and the thought of losing Vinnie makes me feel sick.
What do you all think?

It is a hard decision to make, from someone who doesn't know you or Vinnie, if he's happy on his own just spending time with you and the foster buns maybe it would be best to leave him that way? As he's an old man himself and you have concerns for his health it could mean you end up with a wife being left on her own and if you need the time to study then would not the quiet life be good for you and him? Good luck making your decision - I feel for you and I know it's not easy.x

Aww, sorry you lost Lovage :(

12 is a fantastic age, wow.
If he seems ok on his own and you're not so keen on having more bunns then maybe its best that he stays single now, cos of course it's an endless cycle when one will always be on its own eventually :?

Audrey has been single since Rowan died and I genuinelly think she is happy, but I do know she would be even happier with a husbun but she is only about 3 so much younger than Vinnie.

This is it! Ive always had my rabbits bonded and it hasn't stopped for 20 years :?
Part of me wants to always have buns but part of me knows I could do with the break to concentrate on my studies and a social life!!!
Ive always had a managerie and its the buns that are the most work generally! Up until about 18 months ago ive always had at least 4 buns and various amounts of fosters but ive really stopped myself from taking anymore on.
Deep down I know Vinnie doesn't need a new partner, he really is happy. Im sure he misses Lovage, no doubt, but he isn't pining and has really taken to living in the house with all the other animals! Infact the last 2 days he hasn't been out in the garden much and sprawled on his bed in the kitchen instead! He definately isn't depressed!
I guess I already have my answer :? :roll: :lol:

Personally from what you say I'd keep him single now... he's old and the likelihood is that he hasn't got long to live and then you're left with another single rabbit. He sounds fine and happy and at the end of the day us humans often end up alone when our partner dies but don't run out and replace them when we're 90 - gosh that sounds awful doesn't it, but I hope you know what I mean :)

I personally think it might be a wise decision to let him live a single life, bearing in mind your personal circumsances, just make sure he gets plenty of extra attention. It sounds like an ideal opportunity to spend more time studying and I'm sure you'll make up the bunnies numbers again one day. Good luck whatever you decide.:)

Deep down I know Vinnie doesn't need a new partner, he really is happy. Im sure he misses Lovage, no doubt, but he isn't pining and has really taken to living in the house with all the other animals!
I think the words 'deep down' mean a lot whenever spoken, that your intuition always knows whats best. Best of luck with Vinnie, he sounds quite happy.:)

Aw thank you for your feedback guys, it means alot :)
I guess I just needed reassuring!
I have decided that Vin shall stay single :)
I know he would get along with another bun but he is happy and he will have our regular boarders staying who he knows well so that will give him some fun times ahead, starting this weekend infact!

It will be weird not having any when he has gone but I def will take on another couple (or four) once my studies are over! I can't bear the thought of not having buns!!!!

Thanks again :)

Back