• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Taking Faline to vets

Deelove

Wise Old Thumper
my Dad woke me up today saying there was something wrong with Faline. She was refusing a bit of greens. She's normally very greedy. She was lying stretched out and half shut her eyes when I stroked her but she did not move. Not even a strawberry tempted her. I get the feeling she is in pain. I put a warm hot water bottle in with her in the mean time but Molly nicked it. :roll:

She's now moved to the top shelf and is sitting huntched up next to Molly (who has now given up the water bottle) I'm taking her to the vet at 12 when their surgery opens. Please wish her luck. She chewed an ear off a fluffy teddy last night, I hope it's not blocked her up or anything. :cry:

Just got back. He was a lovely vet. He couldn't find anything visibly wrong with her, tummy isn't swollen, no temperature etc. He even asked Faline why she was depressed as she wasn't giving him much to go on. He thinks he can feel a lump in her abdomen so I've had to leave her there for an xray and blood test. :-(

I'm at work now till 6.30 so he's going to ring me there to let me know and as he's on call tonight he is going to see me after work and sort her out and pretend it's not after hours.

Awww sending you vibes! the vet sounds nice though , I like it when they are nice - means you can trust your pet with them *generally lol* and the fact he is making sure xrays and everything get done just to be safe -! Healing vibes faline!

Oh dear. We had this problem with Tammy yesterday, she wouldnt eat and just wanted to flop out. All the vets could find was some very minor molar spurs which shouldnt have been enough to stop her eating. She had some Metacam and Metachlopromide (sp) for her gut but still not sure entirely whats up.

Did she pass any stools? I hope she is OK X

Oh goodness :cry: I really hope she has not obstruced having eaten the fluffy Teddy's ear yesterday :cry:

Please do keep us posted

Janex

She is back with us now. There were no obstructions on the x-ray. The vet thinks she has a gastral infection, but said with rabbits they don't tell you very much so unless there is something like a swollen tummy etc it's hard to tell. She has had some steroids injected to perk her up, which seem to have done the trick. I've got some science recovery to syringe feed her with and baytril to syringe her too. She hated the Baytril, but seems to like the recovery. Have to see what the blood test says I guess.

She has done some very tiny poos. But as it's only since this morning that she's been poorly I guess it's the next couple of days that she'll need watching. She's eaten a little bit of strawberry and a couple of allen and page pellets.

I was very worried at work today. I've shut Molly out of the crate so I can monitor Faline's pooing and Molly is not impressed at all and is trying to get back in. :-/

Thanks for replies. xx

Baytril can be diluted with blackcurrant juice to make it more paletable to syringe feed :D

Back