• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home made hutch

buddabun

Warren Veteran
Has anyone made their own hutch-for-two? As I have mentioned before (and you're probably all sick of 'but who cares, I'm excited!) we are moving and have a huge garden and SO... I want to keep the buns outdoors for the summer. We have figured out a plan for a run (courtesy of B&Q) but have NO idea how to go about building a hutch. It doesn't have to be fancy but we couldn't find anything big enough that's not HUGELY expensive...

Anyone made their own and have any advice/plans they can help me with? Would be much appreciated...
x

We have built our own hutches in the past (my lot now live in a playhouse).

It's not as bad as you think but remember to use weld mesh, not chicken wire (cheaper but rubbish), also proper bolts are better. My advice is to have a look round at hutches you like and get ideas. I'm sure you can search on the internet too for plans etc.

Weld mesh is very expensive mesh in my experience so by the time you've bought the wood and mesh, you might be better off buying a hutch to go within the run, on ebay you can get a HH plain old hutch for about £65. I bought the wood and mesh for a run and it cost £50, loads more than I thought it would

slightly off topic...

but I bought 2 thistle halls from pets@home last week

the designs looked great, nice wire mesh, and spacious

this week, I am not so happy...the designs are fine, the wood is rubbish

cody and theo have been chewing away, and the doors are almost chewed away

I am going to complain to pets@home head office and see what response they get

definately not fit for purpose for my lot...especially as cody and theo NEVER chew

the upshot of this is, that if I don't get satisfaction, I will reverse engineer their design, build my own, and make the plans available to anyone who asks, and they can build using decent material

I don't think that's the proper welded mesh, I took a look and decided not to use it

Yes, it is. They do chicken wire as well, but I'm talking about the weld mesh
(1/2 inch square). I have it on one of my runs, and it is very good quality mesh.

slightly off topic...

but I bought 2 thistle halls from pets@home last week

the designs looked great, nice wire mesh, and spacious

this week, I am not so happy...the designs are fine, the wood is rubbish

cody and theo have been chewing away, and the doors are almost chewed away

I am going to complain to pets@home head office and see what response they get

definately not fit for purpose for my lot...especially as cody and theo NEVER chew

the upshot of this is, that if I don't get satisfaction, I will reverse engineer their design, build my own, and make the plans available to anyone who asks, and they can build using decent material

Yeah, I know what you mean...the P@H hutches always look really shoddy to me. Especially considering how expensive they are.

You're much better off finding a local joiner or hutch maker in the local paper or even on ebay. They'll usually do good quality bespoke designs for the same price as a P@H hutch.

I may look into getting it done by a joiner or someone but will run it by hubby first to see if it's do-able...

You can get a roll of weld mesh in B&Q for about £20. Jolleys used to sell it cheaper but I don't know if they still stock it.

Back