• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why are people so thick???

kat_g

Warren Scout
hi, this is my first post on here and im sorry to say its a rant! Just finished work (im a nurse at vets) and we finished they day with a young woman bringing her rabbit in 'cos its bum didnt look right'. It turned out that its back end was literally rotting away! It was absoloutley revolting and when i saw it i was disgusted! Unfortunately (although unsurprisingly) the rabbit had to be put to sleep. After doing this we had a closer inspection (didnt want to do it when bun was awake due to the pain it would have been in) and it really was awful. I looked at its teeth and they were so overgrown that i wonder how it managed to eat! They were curled round in the rabbits mouth! So basically my rant is to ask are people REALLY that thick and stupid or just ignorant to their rabbit's needs. I just cannot understand how someone could leave their rabbit in such appalling conditions. its so upsetting to see them like that. The young woman was crying and you honestly feel like giving them a wake up call and telling them its all their fault cos they've neglected their pet. Is it just me being harsh or do any of you feel this way? Me and the vet both said it was a welfare issue really - just wish more could be done.
Rant over and i feel better for it!

Poor bunny!

No, I totally agree with you! Many people are really ignorant about animals, particularly rabbits. It's a real shame because they will never realise what amazing creatures they are.

What kills me is people who buy rabbits without even reading a book or website on them first, then they go to P@H, get rubbish 'advice' and when you try to correct them, they won't listen. Grrrr!

I don't think it's too harsh to let them know it's their fault. After all it is. I don't know why you want a pet that you're not going to take care of. They could have gave it away to someone who coud better take care of it! I watch that show on animal planet about the SPCA and those people that neglect their pets make me sick. Someone should treat the humans like they treat their animals. Although around here they aren't really good with that. My dad's neighbor when he lived with his parents, they always left their dog outside, no matter what the weather was. People called the animal control people on them MANY times, and nothing ever happpened. People suck.

i'm a bit in two minds on this one as ok i agree that letting the animal get into such a state is terrible but at the same time maybe the owner really was just ignorant and did love her pet (ok bit of a stretch of the imagination there but you know what i mean) i blame places like pets at home and other pet shops for not educating new owners as to their responsibilities. maybe you could have pointed out to the owner that rabbits take a lot of looking after and that she didn't meet it's requirements maybe hand over some leaflets incase she wants another one and that way maybe she'll realize herself that it was her fault and it would be kinder than saying you're rabbits dead because you were useless at caring for it (even though she was) but it's likely she would never learn anything that way

Poor Bunny :cry:

I am affraid I would have had a tact by-pass and told the owner straight that her Rabbit died from NEGLECT.
Although I guess as a Vet Nurse that would be considered inappropriate. How you kept your cool I dont know.

Binky Free Bunny

Janex

i dont know how i keep my cool but yeah, it would be inappropriate for me to tell her how i felt! she was very upset and crying so maybe not a good time to start giving her leaflets on correct rabbit care, lol. However, i am currently in the process of writing a rabbit info sheet to send out to clients and offer them rabbit clinics (which i will run). Will start a new post on what will be useful to include (lots of head are better than one!)

However, i am currently in the process of writing a rabbit info sheet to send out to clients and offer them rabbit clinics (which i will run). Will start a new post on what will be useful to include (lots of head are better than one!)

That's a great idea, WELL DONE!! :thumb:

Janex

sounds fab wish my vets would run something like that. it's important for people to aware what taking care of a rabbit involves
well done you :thumb:

Poor rabbit :cry: And the sad fact is she'll probably go out and buy another one next weekend and treat it just the same... it's pure ignorance and the traditional belief that you stick a rabbit in a hutch and feed it and that's it. Education is the way forwards and I'm sorry but I think that when an animal comes into the vets, regardless of how upset the owner is, they should be (tactfully) told the truth for the sake of their next rabbit if nothing else

yeah i agree that owners need to be told but im not sure i can just come right out with it, which is why i thought by sending out info sheets, its a subtle way of trying to get the message across. Ive started another post asking for input to the info sheet so if any of you have something you think may be useful, please post on that thread. Thanks for all the feedback, its nice to know there are other people who feel the same about bunnies (i think a lot of the people at work think im mad and even a bit strange! lol)

Hiya:wave: Welcome to the club - we're all bunny bonkers here :D
I've posted on your other thread too.

i dont know how i keep my cool but yeah, it would be inappropriate for me to tell her how i felt! she was very upset and crying so maybe not a good time to start giving her leaflets on correct rabbit care, lol. However, i am currently in the process of writing a rabbit info sheet to send out to clients and offer them rabbit clinics (which i will run). Will start a new post on what will be useful to include (lots of head are better than one!)

I got one from my vet when I took sooty in for his mixi. Of course it does rely on the owner taking the bunny in for an MOT when they first get it or realising that it needs jabs in the first place.

The booklet was 1 A4 sheet front and back and was basic for someone like me who now seems to have a whole shelf full of books but would be a good prompt to find out more. You could call it "Bunny's for Dummies" or is that cheating (The book being Rabbits for Dummies)

Thats terrible poor bunny!

Its shocking that rabbits are the 3rd most popular pet in britain yet nobody seems to know a darn site about them!

Of course it does rely on the owner taking the bunny in for an MOT when they first get it or realising that it needs jabs in the first place.

im gonna post them out to all out bunny owners so they wont actually have to come in for the info. i know there will be people who have never been to us but what can i do?

I totally agree about them being the third most popular pet in britain yet people seem to know anything about them. Its so infuriating!

im gonna post them out to all out bunny owners so they wont actually have to come in for the info. i know there will be people who have never been to us but what can i do?

I totally agree about them being the third most popular pet in britain yet people seem to know anything about them. Its so infuriating![/QUOTE]

I don't think I could have let her walk out without telling her the rabbit died of neglect. I know it is a time to be sensitive, and if she's crying, she likely did care for it, in a hap-hazard way.

The rabbit that came for a visit and stayed (Velvet), we had gotten from a friend. She told us things to do, not to do, what she was feeding her, how often, recommended what litter to use before we left. Once we got home, I was amazed at how much there was on the internet about rabbits, we self educated ourselves, but we wanted to make sure our new member of the family was going to be well taken care of.

We also were fortunate that our veterinary clinic has a vet that specializes in rabbits. I agree education is the key, I volunteer for the House Rabbit Society because of what I was reading on some of the websites.

I totally agree about them being the third most popular pet in britain yet people seem to know anything about them. Its so infuriating!
[/QUOTE]

my vet gave me an excellent care info booklet from Intervet called caring for your rabbit. You can view it here- http://www.intervet.co.uk/Species_Pages/Small_Animal/Publications_Pet.asp

might give you ideas for your info sheet or you could ask them to send you some booklets.

Great Idea the fact sheet. Unfortunatley it will probably only get read by responsible owners and the people that REALLY should be reading it wont bother.

I think its the same for ALL animals and Kids for that matter, people want them for whatever reason and once the novelty wears off they loose all interest. Common sense seems to bypass these people totally. Its like someone I know would not take her child to the dentist, even though the child was in considerable pain just because she herself doesn't like the dentist and hasnt been in years!!!! It took intervetion from anther family member to take her and the mother, well she didnt have to bother her :censored: :censored: so it was all ok with her.

I just dont understand some peoples mentality :evil:

Hiya!

So, so sad about that rabbit, it really breaks your heart to think that any animal has suffered due to human stupidity and a complete lack of knowledge.
You must have had to bite your tongue so hard in that situation.

I put together a bunny care sheet a few months ago too, including pre and post op care, and am just about to start working for a large vets, so I hope to get the care sheet handed out to all bunny owners. The more education that is out there, the better, and in my mind, if I can help even one bunny by someone reading a care sheet, then it's a good start. Lets hope care information sheets can go on the educate as many bunny owners as possible, and save lots of poor creatures surffering.

Liz, Willow & Gertie

Back