• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild and Domesticated Mating?

I am wondering if my as-yet-unspayed female bunny could become pregnant by the wild bunnies in our yard? :shock: The wild pair that nest under our front porch have 4 or 5 little kits running around our yard now. I haven't gotten a good picture of them yet to post so someone knowledgeable could tell their age, but I'm trying. They are adorable! :love: But they are small enough to maybe get into Cookies outdoor run--could they get her pregnant??? How old would they be before they become sexually mature? Isn't it a number of weeks? What should I do?:?: I've scared them away from near her run twice this morning!

Yes, Wild Bucks can get a Domesticated Doe pregnant. I would expect the Wild Bucks to be fertile from about 12-16 weeks of age.
Are you in the UK? If so and your Doe is not vaccinated against Myxomatosis and VHD I strongly recommend you get her done.

Janex

Depends where you are?

If you are in Europe or Australia...then Yes, like Jane has said.

If you are in North America, then No. The wild cotton tails shouldn't be able to interbreed with domestic (European) rabbits

No...if they are definitely wild rabbits...but they could spread disease so be careful.

Is there definitely no chance they could be escaped or abandoned domestic rabbits:?: :?:

Not a chance that they are free domesticated buns. They are definitely the type of wild bunnies I've seen all my life. They are the gray/brown speckled color that hides them so well--but they are yellow/brown striped too if you look closely! I'll try again to photograph them and get them on here! They are so wily and fast and shy!!

Bunny2.jpg

Bunny.jpg

These are the best I could do. The cheeky little things are all about until I get the camera!

No worries, it's physically impossible for cottontails and pet rabbits (descended from European wild rabbits) to mate. Although they can transmit parasites to each other so keep a close eye out.

I'm hoping with school ending for my 6 kids we can be out in the yard enough to keep the wild rabbits from our Cookie. Once the babies get to a certain age, they and the parents all seem to leave our yard and we don't have to worry too much--about Cookie or the veggies growing in our garden. We love seeing them, but if they are a danger to Cookie with parasites or disease I'd really like for them to leave now! Cookie really loves the outdoors and would hate to be a house-only rabbit all year round! She still hates being brought in at night or on rainy days and is out all the time now. Only something small like a chipmunk or baby rabbit can get to her, but I'm weighing the risk to her against the sadness of keeping her in.:cry: :? :( What to do?

Last edited:
What shots do buns in my area need? Having rabbits as pets is not so common here. I know of no one else who keeps them in the house like they would a dog or cat. Before reading up on rabbits on this and another forum, I'd never heard of or met anyone who kept their rabbits indoors or in anything but a small pen. We were the 'weird' ones as our two bunnies had a four foot by two foot house and a ramp giving them constant access to a 20 foot by 6 foot outdoor run. I really don't know of any rabbit savvy vets at all. Rabbits around here are raised to be eaten.:cry: When we lived in Ohio we lived next door to a rabbits-for-meat breeder and you all would cry if you saw the conditions those rabbits endured! We had to hold our breath just to pass the barn with all the rabbits. But at least the tiny pens were only one layer, rather than stacked on top of each other, so they weren't defecating on each other. We don't have anyone locally to ask about good care.

Im not sure vaccinations they need but im sure a vet in your area will know :D Maybe ring around the surgeries and ask if they have any rabbit savvy vets :D

No worries, it's physically impossible for cottontails and pet rabbits (descended from European wild rabbits) to mate. Although they can transmit parasites to each other so keep a close eye out.

According to this USA site they can....
"Because the release often happens in or close to residential areas, these rabbits quickly begin feeding in gardens and flowerbeds, causing conflicts with property owners. Disoriented rabbits crossing roads in search of their own territories cause traffic distractions and accidents. Biologists are concerned that domestic rabbits can introduce diseases into wild rabbit populations or mate with wild rabbits, undermining the vigor of wild populations."
Or are cottontails not the same as wild rabbits?

Last edited:
That's really interesting :D

Try posting the query on Etherbun...I'm sure somebody on there rehabs wild cottontails...they would know for sure.

Pet and european wild rabbits are Oryctolagus cuniculus where as US wild rabbits (cottontails) are various species of Sylvilagus. As far as I know the two can't cross breed.

Back