• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baldy bun! U/D still not too good! U/D 16 June

charl343

Warren Scout
Hi,
Paddy regularly grooms himself, often a bit too much but I give him a brush everyday and check him over.
This morning when I went to feed him, his fur was a little scruffy so I had a closer look and after looking for about 5 mins I noticed a bald patch amongst his fluffy fur. It only looks small and you really have to move all his fur out of the way to even see it but I'm a bit worried. I don't know if he has pulled the fur out himself or it could be mites, does anyone have any ideas...

pad3.jpg

pad2.jpg

pad1.jpg

As I say I have not noticed it before so I assume it has happened over night but it was that hard to find that I could be mistaken.

Thanks
Charlotte

Last edited:
Hi Charlotte

I can't see your pic very well (the settings on my monitor have gone haywire)...but it is normal for lops (esp dwarf lops) to moult in patches, sometimes leaving a bald spot. :shock:

Keep an eye out for dandruff or sore areas, and speak to your vet if you're at all worried.

Hi Charlotte - I've just had Rosie at the vet today because of a bald patch where she was pulling her fur out - she thinks it may have been a reaction in her case to her VHD booster. Has Paddy had his recently and is the bald patch near where the injection was? Just a thought - may be totally wrong. I've posted a thread about it on this forum if you want to have a look.

Has Paddy had his recently and is the bald patch near where the injection was? Just a thought - may be totally wrong. I've posted a thread about it on this forum if you want to have a look.

Hiya, nope he hasnt had any injections recently, so I'm a bit baffled!
Charlotte

Hi Charlotte! Can you see any tiny black specks in the roots of Paddy's fur - this looks as though it could be mites to me. Or any tiny white specks in his fur near the skin? If the skin is red, it definitely sounds like mites - personally I'd get the Vets to look at it before it develops. He may need an ivermec injection. Please keep us posted. Claire x PS. By the way, how's his eye now?

Hiya, no there isnt any black spots or and white flaky stuff just like dark red where he has been grooming it, I have an appointment with the vets tomorrow at half 9 tho so hopefully they will help.

Paddys eye is ok at the moment, we get the odd watery day but nothing as bad as it first was, I am going to get the vet to check it again tomorrow tho.

Charlotte

Took Paddy the vets this morning, its a case of over grooming!! He was given an injectection to stop the itchyness etc and some cream for his skin!

the vet also looked at his eyes and said they were fine, she thinks he mite just constantly suffer from a watery eye.

Charl x

I would want to know the cause of the watery eye though. Have his teeth been checked properly?

Hi,
Just an update when we went to the vets she said that it was not mites etc and gave me fuciderm gel to rub into the patch. She asked me to do this every day for a week which I done untill last Sunday, so he has had 6 days without it. Although at the very top of the patch I can see new fur is growing, there is still a huge patch were it isnt. Unlike the pictures I first posted tho, it isnt red at all, just white. Any ideas why this could be!?

Thanks
Charlotte

Back