• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

singleton prejudice?

jivebunny

New Kit
I'm very sad. They little girl I was supposed to rehome next week has been rehomed to another family as she bonded well with their other rabbit.

I've been looking through some of the rabbits on here who need rehoming and a lot of them seem to have to be housed with another rabbit.

I've only ever had single buns and I'd prefer to have just one. Is it worth me trying another rescue for a singleton or should I give up hope?

Please don't be put off. I saw a bun that needed to go as single on the main RR web page this afternoon. Can't find her now tho. I know rescues prefer buns in pairs but some buns don't like other buns and can live a happy life as a singleton providing they have plenty of interaction. Our Willow is a sinlge bunny and very happy. Keeping looking and maybe try another rescue.

Many rescues will only rehome a single rabbit if there is a reason why it can't be rehomed as part of a pair. So for example if it has been tried with other rabbits and fights, has special needs or can't be neutered for some reason. If a rabbit is rehomed as a single bunny if would usually be as a house rabbit so it got lots of attention.

Certainly don't give up, just chat with some rescues and see what they have suitable :)

Perhaps you could arrange to visit and meet some pairs too, you never know you might find a particular pair seem right even if that's not what you were orginally thinking of :)

Tam

have you thought about an oldie bun? On RR there's a link at the top for oldies who usually get overlooked because of their age :cry: I took Molly on at age 11 and stupidly tried to bond her at one stage... at her stage in life and with her condition, she was better off and perfectly happy with just me

I have seen quite a few RR bunnies advertised as singleton's recently. I would rehome a singleton only as a house bunny. Have a look through some of the adverts as they still might be there.

Last edited:
Can I ask why you would rather have a single bunny? People sometimes worry that two will be twice the work, but often it is actually easier and decreases the worry of them getting bored or lonely while you are out :D

A lot of Rescues prefer buns to be bonded, but will let a bun go if they are to be a single house bun as they will get more attention.
Also a lot of oldies or special needs buns, need a one-bunny home, or some buns get upset with the presence of others

Whereabouts are you?

She is lovely. I would also have a chat to a rescue over your concerns about having two. I was adament I only wanted 1 but I knew Barney needed a hoppity friend and I was feeling so guilty if I wasn't there with him every second I could even though he just hid under the sofa.

I know a lot of peoples single buns are very happy but maybe just think about it. :D
Good luck on your search x

Back