• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Managing watery eyes...

minilops

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone! If you're read my numerous posts, you might know my Frenchie, Humphrey, has a problem at the moment with watering eyes. We've had lots of treatment and not sure what's causing it, but it could be genetic (his head shape, etc). Just wondering who has this problem with their bun and how they find is the best way to manage it on a daily basis to keep their bun the most comfortable. At the moment, we are bathing around Humph's eyes twice a day with cooled, boiled water and gently drying for him. Has anyone got any tips or ideas for helping Humphrey? We're back to Vets on Thursday to see where we go from here, but any help would be appreciated from anyone - thanks! Claire x

Hi,

I have had two buns with this problem.

Bailey had the problem in both eyes and eye drops cleared up one side. The other side had to be flushed and this seems to be ok now.

Harvey again has the problem in both eyes but flushing did not solve it (his ducts are too small). We tried cleaning his eyes frequently but he hated it and did a better job on his own. He went through phases where it was very matted and other were it looked ok.

We managed to bond him to a mixed pair and ever since he has been like a new bunny. They both clean hi eyes for him and he looks the picture of health! I do see the liquid coming out of his eyes occasionally so I know the problem is still there but he is not bothered by it.

I hope you get it cleared up!

Thanks for your reply! We've tried numerous treatment, loads of eye drops, tear duct flushes, two week course of antibiotic injections, Baytril, etc, and nothing's cured it. I've picked Jane's brains on loads of occasions (Thanks Jane!) and we're still none the wiser, although one Vet did say Humph's ducts were very narrow at the opening, so could be a genetic drainage problem and I know Jane thinks this is possible. So we'll discuss with the Vet on Thursday, but I want to manage it in the best way possible for Humph and anyone's advice and experiences are appreciated. Claire x

One of my german lop boys Quest had wet eyes for almost all of his adult life, we tried everything, duct flushing, antibiotics, nothing worked. So in the end, as it was just water and no infection, we just left him to it and cleaned his eyes every so often when they looked like the needed doing - we found daily washing just aggravated the problem, so I bathed them about once a week.

Occassionally they would get a creamy discharge and in that instance I just sprayed them with collodial silver twice a day.

Sadly Quest died last year aged 5 1/4 :cry: :cry: :cry:

i had a rabbit called flopsy with this problem he had 1 watery eye all his life bless him :( i tried all the eye ointments and everything and he had his tear ducts flushed a few times i found using paper instead of woodshavings and dust free hay helped make his eye look clearer :)

Back