• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

long distance journeys?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
can bunnies cope with them? I live 1hour away from the vets iw ould love to sue but i'm worried that bunnies might get extra stressed, so i'm not sure. I have heard that the vet is good but i am starting to worry. any advice?

An hour journey would be absolutely fine if the weather is cool, all of my 'local' shows are 45mins - 1hr away and the rabbits travel just fine, good vets are worth travelling for.

I've imported rabbits from Holland before, and they travel just fine :) Rabbits are hardier than people think!

It can take me up to an hour to my vet.. I have a local vet that does their injections but anything else I travel to my savvy vet . I wouldn't choose to travel that distance as all my 4 bunnies get very stressed travelling :(

It can take me up to an hour to my vet.. I have a local vet that does their injections but anything else I travel to my savvy vet . I wouldn't choose to travel that distance as all my 4 bunnies get very stressed travelling :(

i hope mine don't get stressed :( especially before an operation.

i hope mine don't get stressed :( especially before an operation.

Its worth a trial run to see how they cope - maybe short car journeys before hand to build them up to it? Choose a dark carrier, make sure its secure in the car so the carrier can't move and turn off the radio and talk to them to whole way so they feel reassured by your voice - thats what I do with mine.

beth if you need a good bunny vet..are you far from Gamston in notts..my geography is poor so you probably are:?

I always used to give my rabbits a couple of drops of bach rescue remedy in their water before any journeys. Seemed to help them relax a bit more.

Totti and Brody travel very well, in a huge carrier and with Classic FM for company. I've also found that helps when participating in bunny runs :)

we don't know how far we aref rom gamston but i'll check,
Basil travveled from the rescue to my house in a carry cage in the back of my car and he seemed ok then

Gus travelled to Harrogate several times when he had his retrobulbar abscess. With the traffic at rush-hour and Gail's (and mine :oops: ) appalling sense of direction he was in the car for up to 2 hours at a time and he didnt seem to suffer any ill effects.

However, he was used to car journeys of up to 30 minutes so it might be good as someone suggested to get your buns used to car journeys :D

Back