• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewing!

icklep360

Warren Scout
I know rabbits chew, but over the last week Buster has went crazy! He has been almost manic in his quest to chew cables. Last Thursday he chewed my phone cable, and tonight he got it again. And he's got the lamp and my laptop one several times:(

I've blocked off access to cables but tonight I let the dog out in the garden and came back to find he'd somehow got behind the couch:evil:

Is he bored? He was only neutered on Friday, so he's a single bun, when he gets a chick will he be kept more occupied? Or is this just going to be double trouble:roll:

As I said I know they chew, so is this just normal. Any advice to keep a smart bun away from cables:D

Have you tried giving him other things to chew? Mine love the willow twigs, willow baskets, willow balls, boxes full of hay. Maybe a treatball so that he has to work hard for his food?

Loads and loads of chew toys :D Mine dont pay attention to anything else if they have plenty of toys in with them :lol: Also does he know what no means? Mine know that when I say their names in a low voice or say no to them they are doing something wrong, and they will stop and wait for me to leave the room brfore trying again :roll: You can get the wire protector things that go over your cables so that your bunny wont get hurt if he does manage to get to a cable :D

Mine have endless toys, willow twigs, hay boxes and yet the carpet is the most amazing thing to them?? I just can't stop them no matter what new and exciting thing I introduce!

He has chew blocks, willow balls, loads of hay etc. He's normally outside in a hutch, but he comes in at night when I come in from work for a run around. I bring some chew things in too, but he's never interested in them when he's in the house.

I can't believe he got the new phone, O/H is really annoyed:(

You may find he gets better once his hormones have died down.

Audrey is the bane of my life when it comes to chewing as most people on here will know cos I'm always moaning about it :roll: :lol: but I honestly have noticed a difference now its been a few months since she was spayed. She used to drive me mad literally constantly chewing the skirting boards, but now she probably tries to do it only a few times a day which is a vast improvement, but nevertheless still irritating :evil: :lol: .

I did try anti chew sprays but they made no difference :? You could use rubber piping on the cables.

Oh and I've noticed she is MUCH calmer since she's been out freerange more- it seems she doesn't obsess about chewing so much when she can in theory do it anytime she wants!

Anyone know where I could get wire protectors? Or other idea's to bunny proof:D

O/H suggested bunny gum guards:shock:

Last edited:
Back