• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dewlaps!

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
how big should they be??? holly is getting quite a large one and i am starting to worry about her weight. she has burgess supa excel pellets and she has consant acsess to a run but she still seems quite large.

Buu has quite a big dewlap and its fine as long as I keep an eye on her, make sure she can still wash herself. Best give her a water bottle not a bowl as the dewlap will get wet when she drinks :D If your worried about her weight just pop her along to your vet and he will weigh her and give you advice on a diet :D

I'm curious as to why Brody only has a very tiny dewlap. Is it true that does that have had babies have larger dewlaps:?

I'm curious as to why Brody only has a very tiny dewlap. Is it true that does that have had babies have larger dewlaps:?

Nope because Buu has never had babies :lol: Its where they pull out the fur to make nests, I may be wrong but I think that unspayed females or girlys not spayed as young bunnies are more likley to get them :D

holly has never had babies and hers is big, i think spaying make sthem larger aswell???

holly does hav a bottle so she should be ok, she is very active but does eat alot lol, i ahv to refil her hay twice a day

I would cut down the amount of pellets you are feeding Holly if she is getting big. If she is eating loads of hay she won't really need pellets too, just give her a few a day.

My 2 both had huge dewlaps when I got them. Dusty's has all but disappeared since her spay, but Clover's has reduced only slightly.

Mhairi does not have a dewlap. She was spayed at 4 months.
It is something to do with their hormones. If they are spayed while still young, I think this prevents it growing too large or growing at all.

So another good reason to spay you girl bun:wave:

Mhairi does not have a dewlap. She was spayed at 4 months.
It is something to do with their hormones. If they are spayed while still young, I think this prevents it growing too large or growing at all.

So another good reason to spay you girl bun:wave:

I agree - Jen doesn't have a dewlap either (she was spayed at 4 months old too :D)

Smokey had a very large dewlap when she was younger. She has sincce lost quite a bit of weight and it's shrunk quite a lot.

Dolly had a small dewlap when I got her, but is went within in the first few months / weeks (I can't remember exactly how long it took - too long ago now).

But whether it was due to being spayed (was spayed about a week before I got her) or a change in diet and exercise I don't know as all would have happened at the same time!

ops, sorry i emant spaying could help reduce dewlaps :oops: i don't think i could reduce the amount of pellets, she would hardly have any!

Back