• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shows

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
Ive never been to one, someone pppppplllllleeeaassseeeeeee tell me when the next few bunny shows are.....

are they worth going to???????????

Jemma,

You need to go to BRC under Google or whatever and find British Rabbit Council and follow the leads from there for shows. It tells you what's on and where, usually regional shows are 3 monthly. The BIG shows are London (Reading) and Bradford. Bradford is usually in January and I found it very good. I will say however, there is opposition to showing by some forum members which is something I totally respect :D .

Neil

Have you looked on the BRC website, I think shows would be mentioned on there.

edit - I think I posted at the same time as Neil!

I went to the Bradford show and I thought it was really good :), check the BRC site as already said and I'm sure you'll find one close enough to you :D

thanks, will do. Im there for the merchandise etc- But i did get distressed looking at the videos of them in little cages. Ive never been so cannot judge.

Thanks

Jun 23/24 Stafford 2007 ASS (Stafford) 6*

(Mr S Germany, Mr D Gallagher, Mr J Freebairn, Mrs D Williams, Mr K Germany, Mrs G M Webb-Bailey, Mr J Self, Mr A Beasley, Mr F Clipsham, Mr S Whincup, Mr A Aldred, Mr C Punchard, Mr B Roberts, Mrs D Bras, Mr M Purdy, Mr H Marshall, Mr D Bulman, Mr B Trute, Mr G Boot, Mr N Robertson, Mr E Hutchings.)

What do the abbreviations mean??? ASS 6* ??? anyone decipher.

If you like to save you wasting your money on going to a show I'll take you to that house where I got the 19 bunnies out. It was rather like a show, distressed rabbit in tiny cages, the owner very proud of all his breeding with his rabbits and he is a member of the BRC and it's not far from you, he's in Birmingham, let me know and I'll take you.

Not all breeders keep their rabbits like that in fact it's the first time I've known it to be kept like that :shock:

I wish those sort of :censored: would not join the BRC.

ASS - stands for Adult Stock Show and 6* being the rating of the show.

Not all breeders keep their rabbits like that in fact it's the first time I've known it to be kept like that :shock:

I know that not all breeders are like that one (thank goodness), like all rescues are nott the same, but he was a bad breeder and very proud to be a member of the BRC and his fellow breeders think he is OK.

Sadly, some breeders do keep their bunnies in those awful cages and they are kept in those types of cages at shows and I just wish more people cared to stop it going on, but that's wishful thinking:cry:

Trouble is I will NEVER forget what I saw and the fact is he is a breeder!

Last edited:

What snowy was pointing out was not how breeders keep their bunnies, but what a *show* is like, and having been to one, I agree, its cruel as the buns are confined and stressed by screaming kids, dogs and the other animals caged around them, after all buns are shy and territorial.

Prehaps if the BRC tightened its rules, we wouldn't have those scumbags in it.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't go as it only supports the breeders, and to be frank, whilst there are the few exceptions, many keep their buns inhumanely and even resort to culling and other unsavoury practices. Plus, unlike pet buns they can't exactly afford to keep them in luxury accomodation either if they keep large numbers, plus, I'd guess not many vaccinate all their buns, and therefore theres always a risk you'll bring a nasty home, but please correct me if breeders always do.

thanks, will do. Im there for the merchandise etc- But i did get distressed looking at the videos of them in little cages. Ive never been so cannot judge.

Thanks

I went along to a guineapig show to see for myself what I thought and it was ... ok.... the pigs all seemed happy and the owners obviously enjoyed themselves but tbh I don't get the 'need to be perfect to win a rosette' brigade. I wouldn't mind going to the Bradford Rabbit Show next year, I've never been to a rabbit show and as you say you can't judge until you've been to one

I'm hardly going to stand up for :censored: like him!!

Dogs aren't allowed to be at a show where rabbits are as it's against the BRC ruling :?

So, not sure what show you attended? It can't have been a BRC one due to there being dogs there :?

I'm hardly going to stand up for :censored: like him!!

Dogs aren't allowed to be at a show where rabbits are as it's against the BRC ruling :?

So, not sure what show you attended? It can't have been a BRC one due to there being dogs there :?

Is this directed at me?
Never said you were standing up for anyone.:?

Didn't know that about dogs, at the agricultural show there were dogs about outside, but I don't remember seeing any in.

We are clearly looking at it from different view points, so I am not about to start an argument. My opinion still stays the same, they are stressful for the buns and I still wouldn't show support for breeders whose practises I know nothing about.

No - it wasn't directed at anyone to be honest - just incase anyone thought I would be stupid enough too.

At agricultural shows dogs aren't allowed to be in the tent and BIG NOTICES are put outside tents as dogs in tents will stress the rabbits out.

I'm don't exactly want a disagreement either, I'm just being me :rolleyes:

Personally Jemma i wouldn`t bother going.
I believe it`s only the larger shows that have trade stalls where you can buy goodies & having been to a couple of shows & not liked what i`ve seen, i`d save the entrance fee so you can buy a few extra goodies locally.

In my opinion being a BRC member means nothing as all you have to do is ring them up, give your name & address, pay a small fee & `hey presto` you`re a member.
I used to know someone who bred but didn`t show so i asked her why she was a brc member, she said it made her sound professional so therefore the rabbits were easier to sell:?

Su.x

I believe it`s only the larger shows that have trade stalls where you can buy goodies & having been to a couple of shows & not liked what i`ve seen, i`d save the entrance fee so you can buy a few extra goodies locally.

In my opinion being a BRC member means nothing as all you have to do is ring them up, give your name & address, pay a small fee & `hey presto` you`re a member.
I used to know someone who bred but didn`t show so i asked her why she was a brc member, she said it made her sound professional so therefore the rabbits were easier to sell:?

Su.x

Bit like the kennel club eh?:evil:

Su.x

Unfortunately there are some backstreet breeders that join just so they can say they're a 'BRC breeder' and it does make the rabbits easier to sell. Its normally the same people that do this that aren't worried about health and breed anything to anything and don't worry about breeding in problems like malloclusion or bad temprement :censored:

The bigger shows are well worth a look, plenty of stalls and loads of lovely rabbits to admire.

I do agree some rabbits do get stressed, and personally I won't show any that do stress, its not fair on them. Alot of my rabbits love being shown and thrive on the attention and fuss - its all down to the individual rabbit.

Rang a guy about the show. He referred only to the rabbits at ''Stock''

I did want to go along as im a show virgin- but i think it will just upset me. We should host our own rabbit show. Full of rescue bunnies- kept well- with lil market stalls etc.....

Would be good fun....

Should have prizes for 'best party trick' and 'cuddliest bun'

he he

I went to my first rabbit Show on Saturday. It was only a small one, but I really enjoyed it.:D

The rabbits were in small cages, but they weren't so small that they couldn't move, and the bigger breeds had bigger cages.

None of the rabbits were stressed, in fact many were flopped out and totally relaxed.:) I asked one of the judges how come the noise doesn't bother them and he said a lot of breeders keep the radio on where they keep their rabbits so they are used to noise.

It was very interesting to see some breeds that I have never saw before - like Belgian Hares and English lops to name a few.

I had prepared myself for the worst before hand, but was pleasantly surprised at what it was like, and I hope I can go to another one soon.:D

I went to my first rabbit Show on Saturday. It was only a small one, but I really enjoyed it.:D

The rabbits were in small cages, but they weren't so small that they couldn't move, and the bigger breeds had bigger cages.

None of the rabbits were stressed, in fact many were flopped out and totally relaxed.:) I asked one of the judges how come the noise doesn't bother them and he said a lot of breeders keep the radio on where they keep their rabbits so they are used to noise.

It was very interesting to see some breeds that I have never saw before - like Belgian Hares and English lops to name a few.

I had prepared myself for the worst before hand, but was pleasantly surprised at what it was like, and I hope I can go to another one soon.:D

Was that the agricultural show up in Ballymena? :) I was there 2 years ago, back in 2005 and the buns were in the same building as a lot of noisy birds.

Back