• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed - problem with Pancreas

sgprescue

Mama Doe
Does anyone know anything about pancreas problems in rabbits and how it is treated? I have a rabbit here who came into rescue a few months ago and has had problems ever since. She started to loose weight a while back desipite eating really well, her only visable problem was dodgy front teeth and on advice from my vet we put her on a weeks course of baytril and metacam and started her on a 28 day course of panacur to rule out EC. As she was still no better after that week we assumed it was just dental pain so she went in to have her front teeth removed. She was blood tested first to rule out kidney/liver problems. The op went well and she recovered well. She had slightly long molars and although my vet didnt feel they were causing a problem burred them down anyway. Since then she has continued to loose weight and this week has started loosing weight more rapidly. When she had her blood test on 9th May she weighed 2.2kg. When I took her in to my vets on Thursday she weighed 1.5kg. On inspection of her poos we noticed there was undigested hay in them. She is still eating really really well, wolfing down everything in site but she is loosing weight rapidly. My vet has suggested the possibility of a problem with her pancreas and is currently researching treatment for me. I am getting desperate and the frustration of not knowing what to do for her is really getting to me. Can anyone help? I have tried searching on the net but only come up with pancreatitis in dogs and cats :? In desperation I started her on a course of of Duphapen today as I dont know what else to do :cry:

Sorry can't help with any advice Cheryl but sending all the good luck vibes i can xx

Edited to add looked in Harcourt Brown..and found Pseudotuberculosis whcih causes wasting ?? may be worth google'ing it?!

Last edited:
Another blood test might give some clues re a pancreatic disorder, a raised level of Amylase being seen in pancreatitis and pancreatic duct obstruction.
But I would have thought a Bun with either of these conditions would appear poorly in themselves :?
A CT scan would probably be a good idea as such rapid weight loss might indicate a neoplasm :cry:
Not sure how Pancreatitis is treated in Rabbits as in other species a few days of 'nil by mouth' is needed.............:?

I'd be interested to know what your Vet comes up with. I hope the Bun can be helped

Janex

Another blood test might give some clues re a pancreatic disorder, a raised level of Amylase being seen in pancreatitis and pancreatic duct obstruction.
But I would have thought a Bun with either of these conditions would appear poorly in themselves :?
A CT scan would probably be a good idea as such rapid weight loss might indicate a neoplasm :cry:
Not sure how Pancreatitis is treated in Rabbits as in other species a few days of 'nil by mouth' is needed.............:?

I'd be interested to know what your Vet comes up with. I hope the Bun can be helped

Janex

Angela is going to talk to Rob (my vet) when she goes to work on Monday and they are going to see what they can come up with. When I see her tomorow I will suggest doing another blood test. I wonder if an x-ray would be worthwhile? I also would have thought with those problems she would look ill but apart from a hunched appearance and looking very thin she is very bright in herself, still dashing to the front of the pen when you go to give her greens. When you put her out in the garden she quite happily runs around. Something is stopping her digesting food properly :cry: I have had bunnies in the past with rapid weight loss but blood tests showed up liver and kidney problems, hers was clear :?

Jill - I can rule out Pseudotuberculosis. I just googled it and apart from being caused by dirty conditions (which she obviously doesnt have here) the other signs were poor appetite and depression, neither of which she has :?

Back