• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A few questions regarding getting a friend for Oakley.

mabster

Young Bun
Hi all. Hope you're all well. First of all I'd like to say cheers for the mass of information that is available on the forum.
Well little Oakley has been with us for 3 weeks now and I'm sure he is nearly two months old.
Although he gets at least 3 hours of free time in the bedroom and lives in the massive three storey cage I feel a friend would be suitable for him.

This is an entirely new world to me and naturall I have a few questions.
- We will be getting a female for him as I feel this is more suitable?
- We will be getting another lionhead for him (Aint they just adorable :D)
- At what age should they be netured?
- The new one will be be housed in one of the levels sperate from Oakley.
- Should I let her settle down for the day before introducing them?

I think thats it for now. I shall scout through the forum for answers. So mabey by tonight we might have another person in the familly. (I don't think my father will be too happy but hey :D they live in my room)

Cheers again

Michael Balmain

Some beauties there! Turns out Oakley is a girl :D Bless, all the time we thought he was a guy. Having examined him/her there bit that pops out has a slit all the way. Girl yes?

Sadly as I am in the Shetland Isles I am unable to rehome any o the little cuties.

Michael B

I wouldn't have a clue how to sex a bunny - they both look the same to me (guinea pigs are easy!) - But anyway, if you are thinking of getting a friend for him/her it would be wise to wait patiently (grinding teeth is allowed though :D ) till he/she is sexually mature, at around 5 months old, and get him/her neutered.

If male, he will still be fertile for a couple of more months after neutering! If female then neutering isn't essential for bonding with another bunny, but it does help as females are as territorial as males, and will mount in dominance rather than to make babies - you could have a fight on your hands if she isn't spayed first, and depending if you get a neutered adult boy for her or a baby boy, you could end up with a litter of babies if you're not careful.

It might be worth your while making a trip over to the mainland to a rescue, and getting a neutered adult to bond with yours, if you're sure she's female. Be aware that she will not be impressed with a newcomer to her territory though! Introductions will need to be done somewhere entirely new to her :)

Hi there and thanks for the response. Well the new addition is home and in the top level of the cage seperated from oakley. She is around 7 weeks old female and obviously not neutered. Oakley is around 10 weeks now. I introduced them briefly (mistakingly in the bottom half of the cage.) Oakley did not respond too well, boxing me and nibbling a bit). Silly idea yes and I now know to use a neutral environment. I will try again the morn or mabey later.

Oakley herself is still somewhat loopy and is hard to hold doon ;)

Persaveirance is the key.
Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers again

Michael Balmain

Back