• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying My Rabbit

:wave: Hey!
I have a 2year old bunny who is lovely and very caring, however she can be very stressy and does not like to be picked up, she freaks out and scrabbles. however sits lovely and likes to be stoked on my lap.....

I have heard that Spaying rabbits can make them less 'Stressy' i was wondering, does anyone have experience of this and how much did it cost (UK £'s ) ?!?!?!?!?

can anyone help?

Yes, spaying makes does far less stroppy! However, it might not solve her dislike of being picked up, that's a very natural reaction for a prey animal.

Spaying will stop her having false pregnancies and curtail a lot of her stoppy behaviour. More importantly, it will prevent womb cancer (very common) and you will be able to get her a neutered boyfriend to snuggle up to!

My Smokey is much quieter and seems a lot more content since she was spayed 2 years ago. It cost about £65, including follow up visits etc.

Hiya, welcome to RU

The first thing that comes to mind reading your post is that a lot of rabbits don't like being picked up and spaying is unlikely to make much of a difference here. All of my four rabbits don't like the process of being picked up but all are fine once they feel secure again. Spaying tends to calm down the hormones and problems such as territorial behaviour, nesting, spraying in males etc can be helped.

However a very large percentage of unspayed females go on to get uterine cancer so it's recommended on health grounds for females even if there are no behavioural issues.

Of course the other benefit is that once your rabbit is spayed you can get her a friend (rescues will often help bond her with a neutered male for you), without a risk of pregnancy.

Cost wise it does vary between vets and different parts of the country. My buns spay cost £70 but I've heard of it as cheap as £40 and as expensive as £120. If you shop around you need to find a vet who is experienced in spaying rabbits if you can.

I spayed Pippa and she is a different bunny now, so much happier and contented with her husbun

Yes, it is definitely a good idea to spay. My 2 have definitely changed since their spay - not complete personality change, but just a slight modification I guess. eg. Dusty is quite highly strung, doesn't like being picked up etc. That's still the same, but she used to lunge and bite too, and no longer does that. Clover used to be quite dominating with Dusty, but no longer is.

I noticed a difference in Buu after she was spayed :D She used to only be friendly towards me but is quite happy to play with anyone now :D I think if a rabbit doesnt like being picked up then they arent going to learn to like it though. I never lift Buu as she hates it and that didnt change after her spay, but she is trained to come when called and get back into her run so its not a problem.

Spaying also has health benefits :D It prevents them getting uteris cancer and it calms their hormones, so they will be more relaxed and friendly. Scarlett was getting a bit aggressive before her spay but is back to herself now she has recovered from the op :D

Mine cost £130 for Buu and £170 for Scarlett but mine did seem expensive to what some people on here pay :D

Mine cost £51 each, but that is very very reasonable, compared to what others charge. Average seems to be about £65 I think.

mine cost £70 including aftercare :) which isnt a bad price, there is a vets in my town centre that wanted £150 plus aftercare costs :shock:

Back