• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay

touie

Wise Old Thumper
thinking of trying a different hay for my lot to see if that helps the sneezing. I'm not sure what to try though and suggestions? they're currently on fresh meadow hay complete with thorns as my poor fingers found out!!! :shock:

I'm using the meadow hay from the hay experts at the moment, it's cheap but it's dust free and nice and green although it does have prickles in too

The green oat stuff isn't dusty either. Oxbow timothy is really dusty - pains me to think how much gets wasted.

ok i've ordered one of the dust free hay co. ones. It's quite expensive compared to what they normally have but worth a try. Poor Caramel is such a state :cry:

If you have storage room you can buy it 10 bales at a time and it works out at 3.99 per bale.

Works out at £3.99 if you order in bulk, but obviously you'll want to try it first (and relies on having somewhere to store it). Still works out cheaper than buying quite a few others in bulk though, I think. Good luck!! :)

Dust-Free Hay is excellent, my lot love it!

I also use as 'bedding' hay Jolley's £3.99 own brand jumbo bag. It is usually fairly dust free but you do need to check. I keep mine in an Ikea 'pet food' sack and it helps to keep the dust down and the hay dry.

Salt was a snuffly bun, but I have (I think) managed to control his environment so he has no signs of it at the moment. I use the dust free hay, which they love, and wood based cat pellets in their litter trays.
He chooses never to sit in his hutch (wher ther is just a hay bedding), but either sits on top of the hutch, or on an upturned dog bed with a straw mat on it. There is a lot of air circulating around their run, and this seems to help.
Hope you get to the bottom of the sneezing.

thanks :D I'm hoping the hay makes a difference otherwise i'm stumped, I've tried switching food and litter already!

Back