• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
I just found a slug in Trips food bowl :shock: How do you keep them away from hutches? I know you can get those pellet things but my bunnies play in the garden a lot and I dont want to put anything like that down really :D

Copper tape (available from places like B&Q) apparently it kind electrocutes them so it keeps them away, you can stick it to/around anything you want to keep them away from.

Salt and I've been told deodorant!

Also you can use orange peel to attract them (then dispose of them) or a cup of beer buried in the ground (at least they die happy) but that's pretty gross to clean up!

By the way, slug pellets will actually attract slugs to them.

Slugs normally do their patrolling at night, so just remove the food bowl and leave only hay for him to nibble overnight. Slugs don't like crawling around on straw or hay as it scratches their undercarriages. However, if you want to leave the bowl in the hutch then try putting it on top of some really scratchy straw and see if that'll deter the blighters!!:)

Thanks guys :D I will get some of that tape. My mum probably wouldnt be to happy with cups full of slugs and beer buried in her garden :lol: So are the slugs attracted to the rabbit pellets? :? Because it was just in the bowl and must have stopped in there. The hutches are mostly covered with vetbed so I will move the bowls out of the hutch once they are finished eating :D Im here thinking a load of slugs are just going to go and hang out in the hutch because they can now :oops: :lol:

You could change the pellet feeding time to the morning and then ,as you say, remove the bowl. I'm surprised they are going for the pellets though..it's usually damp and green stuff that attracts them.

Back